Do I need to replace this faucet?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtarvin

Reaction score
I have a bathroom faucet that runs even when the handle is in the off position. I took off the aerator, which was scratched up, and saw that the washer didn’t look good. I bought a new aerator with washer and screwed it in. The water was still running when shut off. So I put my phone in selfie mode and took a pic inside the spout. The pic is attached. I know next to nothing about faucets, but I’m thinking that spot that I think is a joke shouldn’t be there. Am I right? Should the new aerator and washers prevent the water from running despite what the pic shows, or is the hole in the pic the real problem? And can you tell me what that area or thing that has the hole is called and what it’s purpose is in relation to the faucet? And finally. am I right in assuming I need to just replace the faucet, or should I be looking somewhere else for the problem, or is there a cheaper way to fix the problem besides a new faucet?
B90487D9-E7CB-4B42-8599-040FDF089977.jpeg

The water exits the faucet there, that’s not where the water is turned off. That’s the aerator on the spout where the water exits.

tske a pic of the entire faucet so we can see what we’re dealing with.

from the bottom of the spout it looks like Delta.

That’s not the aerator because I removed the aerator. That is up inside the spout above where the aerator screws in.

Okay, I’m not over there right now, but I’ll post a photo of the faucet tomorrow morning when I am. In the meantime, I do know it’s a Delta one-handle. Does that help with anything?

That’s not the aerator because I removed the aerator. That is up inside the spout above where the aerator screws in.

exactly, that’s where the aerator should be. It doesn’t control the on and off of the water.

Okay, I’m not over there right now, but I’ll post a photo of the faucet tomorrow morning when I am. In the meantime, I do know it’s a Delta one-handle. Does that help with anything?

if it has a plastic handle then it takes this repair kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Faucet...ocphy=9012990&hvtargid=pla-313117078936&psc=1
If it has a metal handle then it needs this repair kit.
Delta Faucet RP77738 Bathroom Repair Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LCUBL4G/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_T28YZSGTG2WZW8TB9BRS

You will not use the O rings in either kit, you can save or discard them.

Back