dishwasher install with standpipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How far is your sink away from the proposed dishwasher space ? Is it on the same wall ?

Do you guys really think that a dishwasher will siphon a 2” p-trap ?
The siphoning I was referring to is from the dishwasher itself.

1697554241449.png

Without an air gap, when the dishwasher washer drains, it will siphon out the water in the dishwasher. Some dishwashers do have a built-in high loop, but an air gap is still recommended for them. And even with a built-in high loop, the siphoning will still occur without an air gap.

I was thinking it was best to hard pipe the dishwasher drain to the old washing machine standpipe. But I guess you could use a high loop and then drop the end on the dishwasher discharge hose into an open standpipe. Just make sure it is firmly attached so it doesn't move when the pump comes on, and make sure the end of the discharge hose is 6" higher than the internal bottom of the dishwasher.

I’d cut the trap off and use a combo to run the pipe into the neighboring cabinet above to the dishwasher Space. Not behind the dishwasher. Once in the cabinet above about 16” off the floor I would install a tee. In the top of the 1.5” San. tee I would use some pipe and install an AAV up near the bottom of the counter top.

The trap would come horizontal from the tee and have a standpipe as high as practical near the bottom of the countertop. The dishwasher hose would come into this cabinet high looped and drop into my stand pipe.

Or if possible :

I’d run 3/4” pex around the corner on a downward slope from the dishwasher being the highest point near bottom of the countertop to the kitchen sink where I could install a dishwasher tee.

There are several more ways to do this but I’d do it like described above if given a choice.

I was thinking it was best to hard pipe the dishwasher drain to the old washing machine standpipe. But I guess you could use a high loop and then drop the end on the dishwasher discharge hose into an open standpipe. Just make sure it is firmly attached so it doesn't move when the pump comes on, and make sure the end of the discharge hose is 6" higher than the internal bottom of the dishwasher.
Thanks for this info. I wasn't aware of the 6" requirement.

I’d cut the trap off and use a combo to run the pipe into the neighboring cabinet above to the dishwasher Space. Not behind the dishwasher. Once in the cabinet above about 16” off the floor I would install a tee. In the top of the 1.5” San. tee I would use some pipe and install an AAV up near the bottom of the counter top.

The trap would come horizontal from the tee and have a standpipe as high as practical near the bottom of the countertop. The dishwasher hose would come into this cabinet high looped and drop into my stand pipe.

Or if possible :

I’d run 3/4” pex around the corner on a downward slope from the dishwasher being the highest point near bottom of the countertop to the kitchen sink where I could install a dishwasher tee.

There are several more ways to do this but I’d do it like described above if given a choice.
Thanks for this recommendation, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what's being described here.

The siphoning I was referring to is from the dishwasher itself.

View attachment 42636

Without an air gap, when the dishwasher washer drains, it will siphon out the water in the dishwasher. Some dishwashers do have a built-in high loop, but an air gap is still recommended for them. And even with a built-in high loop, the siphoning will still occur without an air gap.
So where's the issue if the dishwasher siphon it's water out? That's not a problem as it's protected by the trap and pumps the water out anyway...

If all the water is removed and the dishwasher isn't used for a while, it can dry out the pump seals. It's not a sewer issue, it's a mechanical issue with the dishwasher.
Yeah, that could be an issue. Would have to go unused for quite some time though, I would think.

Latest posts

Back