Cycle Stop Valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe-H

Reaction score
Valveman, looked at your site Constant Pressure Pump Control Valves and I see the valve comes in stainless and thermoplastic. Other than the plastic one being non adjustable, is there any other difference?

And when it says it will drip water, how much is a drip? Drop a day or a quart?

Will need to set up a new well out of state and I'm looking for on line sources for everything from the pump up and it looks like this would be a good addition to my set up.

Thanks, Joe H

Both of the CSV(S)125-1 have specific pressure settings per your order. Plastic= 40 or 50 & the stainless 40,50 or 60 psi setting.
The CSV1A is stainless and adjustable.
I have one of each installed. Adjustable in the house and a CSV125-1 (plastic) in my workshop building. BTW it does not leak at all today ... although I did have issues getting it to seal at installation.
CSV1A.JPG

Thanks for the thread Joe, and thank you Sarg for the pic and explanation.

Like Sarg said it is not normal for the CSV125 or CSVS125 to leak. But leaking is a problem with these valves if the water is not almost perfectly clean. It is slimy stuff like iron or abrasives like sand that keep the main o-ring from sealing and it leaks through the air vents under the red coupling. I have one in a good clean well that has lasted 26 years so far. I usually tell people if it doesn't last at least 5 years your water quality requires the CSV1A instead, which will not leak and can handle stuff in the water.

The CSV125 and CSVS125 are not adjustable and really made to install in the well. When in the well a small leak is not noticed as it just goes back down the well. Both the CSV125 and CSVS125 have the exact same internals and work exactly the same way. The SS version CSVS125 is just stronger when hanging a heavy pump or using galvanized pipe. The Plastic version CSV125 works in the well also, with weights of less than 500 pounds. Either can also be installed above ground as long as they are in an area where a small leak won't cause a problem. It starts out as just a small drip, but gets larger as the 0-ring wears or becomes more slimed over.

PK125 CSV hydrant at well tank at houses.jpg

CSVS125 in well hydrant 20 gal tank 6 houses piped.jpg

The CSV1A is an adjustable valve that will handle slimy stuff and abrasives without leaking. It is just shaped too tall to fit inside the well casing. But the CSV125 can be installed at the well head when hydrants or tee are in the main line prior to the pressure tank. The CSV1A can also be installed at the pressure tank when all taps tee off after the pressure tank. The CSV1A is more robust and last longer than the CSV125, but has more friction loss and a little less pressure as the flow increases. The CSV125 has better flow characteristics, but the difference is so slight most people can't tell the difference.

PK1A hydrant at well tank at house.jpg
PK1A sub pitless house.jpg
CSV1A at 20 gal tank 6 houses piped.jpg

Valveman, thank you for all the info. Would a filter before the valve help? System will have a filter, at this point it can be located anywhere in the line.

Joe H

It is not good to filter before the pressure switch/pressure tank. That means the CSV needs to be able to handle the debris. So, if you need to filter, do so after the pressure tank and use the CSV1A that can handle the debris. You will lose 5-10 PSI through most filters, so I usually turn up the system to 50/70 instead of 40/60 to make up for it.

Back