Cost Effective Water Filtration

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwolfe

Reaction score
I am looking for the most cost effective way to filter the water in our home. We are on city water and are looking primarily to remove Chlorine and Fluoride (among other things). Our home has 3.5 Baths. In an ideal world I would install ONE whole house filtration system that would rate high enough GPM and removes the items listed above. It has been a real struggle to find filtration that removes Fluoride AND Chlorine. The closest I have found is a 3-Stage "Big Blue" whole house with a Bone Char filter included. Though the website (https://store.afwfilters.com/arseni...ment-catalytic-carbon-kdf85-bone-char-carbon/) is not clear on how many GPM. It claims 2-4 bathrooms, not sure I trust that. The other option is to purchase a whole home filtration system AND an undersink RO system. This would likely take care of the Chlorine issue for bathing, and then the RO would be used for consumption and cooking. The downside to this of course is both in initial purchase and in maintaining two systems. Any suggestions?

I have not, but I know that our local municipality adds chlorine and Fluoride to the water distribution. Both, we would like to avoid. Here is the water report released by the City.
Screenshot 2024-01-04 10.27.38 AM.png

Get a $2k whole house carbon filter with auto backwash

Why do you want to remove the Chlorine and Fluoride? It is put in the water for your health and safety!

Get a $2k whole house carbon filter with auto backwash
Like a Springwell CF or an Aqua Ox? I think that's the direction I'm leaning, and then adding in a undersink RO. More costly than I'd like... but it seems the best option.

Why do you want to remove the Chlorine and Fluoride? It is put in the water for your health and safety!
That's what we're told. I understand the Chlorine given the length to which the water must travel, and the lines it travels in. I don't buy the argument for Fluoride at all and numerous studies tend to agree with me. To each their own, "health and safety" don't generally correlate with chemicals.

I am looking for the most cost effective way to filter the water in our home. We are on city water and are looking primarily to remove Chlorine and Fluoride (among other things). Our home has 3.5 Baths. In an ideal world I would install ONE whole house filtration system that would rate high enough GPM and removes the items listed above. It has been a real struggle to find filtration that removes Fluoride AND Chlorine. The closest I have found is a 3-Stage "Big Blue" whole house with a Bone Char filter included. Though the website (https://store.afwfilters.com/arseni...ment-catalytic-carbon-kdf85-bone-char-carbon/) is not clear on how many GPM. It claims 2-4 bathrooms, not sure I trust that. The other option is to purchase a whole home filtration system AND an undersink RO system. This would likely take care of the Chlorine issue for bathing, and then the RO would be used for consumption and cooking. The downside to this of course is both in initial purchase and in maintaining two systems. Any suggestions?
Take a look at this site : Water Filters, Water Purifiers and Water Softeners
I use thier whole house kdf/gac filter that backwashes. It lasts 7 years between changing the media. You could call and talk with them about your specific need. Easy to work with. About 1200 shipped. You do need to install it yourself or get a plumber to do it.

Latest posts

Back