Corroded Pipe Urgency

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZackDad

Reaction score
Our main sewage drain is cast iron and is corroded through the bottom near the end where it connects to the cities main sewer pipe. There are also some roots coming in through the top. I've had it professionally rootered to clear away most of the roots. Once in a while it will back up if we use the downstairs toilet for number 2. I'm wondering how serious this is to be replaced as I don't have 7.5k to replace the pipe? Are there any other cheaper solutions besides lining it which is more expensive? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it seems like a lot of money but considering it is in the road and they can line it for that price, do it. Do not wait. Last thing you want is for it to collapse. Then you have to dig and that could be a bigger price tag. Also once a hole gets too big or the joint dislocates a liner may not be an option.

Find a company that finances.

Did you have a camera put down the pipe, is that how you know it is rotted. How deep is the connection to the city. If it isn't too deep could you rent a little machine and dig it up. Then maybe you could have someone make the connection. Get other companies to verify that is the issue. I did it for my Aunt but it was only 3' deep. Her house is on a crawl so the main wasn't deep like my house. Mine comes in 8' below finish grade outside. When your down that deep you have to have the trench dug out correctly to keep everyone safe.

Did you have a camera put down the pipe, is that how you know it is rotted. How deep is the connection to the city. If it isn't too deep could you rent a little machine and dig it up. Then maybe you could have someone make the connection. Get other companies to verify that is the issue. I did it for my Aunt but it was only 3' deep. Her house is on a crawl so the main wasn't deep like my house. Mine comes in 8' below finish grade outside. When your down that deep you have to have the trench dug out correctly to keep everyone safe.
Yeah the company ran a camera down the pipe but you couldn't really see the rotted out bottom of the pipe I'm assuming due to the standing water that was there. Conveniently the manhole cover to access the sewer is about 25' out from my house on my property and my pipe comes out right below it. You can see from there that the bottom of the pipe sticking out is completely corroded and gone. I don't know if that happens normally to pipes hanging out in to the sewer or if that even means the pipe in the ground is also corroded. There were roots coming in right before the exit to the sewer and they though it was a clay joint at first but then said it was probably just discolored cast iron. Also the only standing water that could potentially be a corroded out pipe is for a bout 2 feet in front of the sewer access. Another note is the city sidewalk does go right over where I would have to dig.

Latest posts

Back