Clogged toilet assistance needed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ707

Reaction score
I have 2 toilets, 1 upstairs & 1 downstairs, and utilize a municipal sewer system. A while ago the upstairs toilet needed to be plunged just about every time it had solids flushed & now the downstairs does too. Commercial unplugging stuff has been poured down both. They don't overflow, just the solid keeps floating back & sits there until we plunge excessively. The toilet paper flushes fine. Help!

"Commercial unplugging stuff" is just a waste of money. What you have is a blockage, most likely in your main line. Call a local plumber and he will take care of your problem in about 10 minutes. Your only other option is to go to your local big box hardware store and rent a machine. You might save about 50%, but it would be hit or miss if you actually remove the clog, and may damage the pipes in the process. I'm all about being cheap, but sometimes you just have to cough up the money and get the job done right.

The price varies greatly. If it is during normal work days, I've had my main line snaked for as little as $35. I've called on a Sunday, and it cost me $145. I called on a holiday, and it cost me $220. I now have a friend, who works for a well known company. I call him directly on his cell phone and he will stop by on his way home from work. He usually charges about $20, provided it's cash money. Since his daughter has cancer, I usually triple the pay to him, and his company doesn't get anything.

Back