Clogged Sewer Drain in Garage Recommendations

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smack2k

Reaction score
Had the drain in my garage clog and spew sewage into my garage. Thankfully I got my stuff out of the way as I happened to be in the garage and heard it gurgle and start coming up. Made about a 5 foot round area of dirty water and sewage. Called local plumber who came out and ran his big snake down and appeared to clear things up as we were able to run water down the drain, run water in the house, flush the toilets and shower with no more issues coming from the drain. The question I wanted to as is, what kind of things can I do, if any, to prevent something like this from happening again? Is there something I can pour down the garage drain on a regular basis or preventative maintenance I could do from time to time to try and prevent issues from happening again? The drain does have the grate on top as well, its not wide open. I realize it could happen again, but if there are ways to help prevent it, I would love to know some.

I attached a picture of the drain clogged. The black pipe in the photo is not where the drain is.

I should also add this house was built in the 1950's and I don't know how / where the pipes go from the drain to other areas under the house I assume?

Thanks for your expertise and advice ahead of time!

Attachments

• 20221220_174856.jpg
    20221220_174856.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've not used these, but here are a couple of options.

1671634476458.png
1671634560674.png

I would not use any chemicals in your sewer line. Clogs happen, and if the clog is now clear, unless there is an underlying problem, you should be good to go. Your garage drain was your "relief valve", so if you use one of these devices, any future clogs will make themselves known in other ways, like overflows of the lowest drain line, toilets not flushing, etc. But that is how people who do not have a garage drain find out they have a blockage in their sewer line.

Thanks for that information. I will leave the garage drain as it is.

What about pouring hot hot water down the drain every once in a while? Does that help out?
You said no chemicals. What about solutions that break down enzymes or is that really just another chemical?

Did the plumber pull any particular thing out?

There is a lot info needed here. Did they pull out roots? What type of toilet paper, are wipes flushed, do you pour grease down the line, flush feminine products? Only waste and toilet paper is to go down the drain.
Nothing else down drains. I always recommend Scott's one ply.

As far as anything to put down drains look for a good enzyme product. Enzymes digest all soaps, fats and grease. It is a good preventative maintenance.

Nothing was pulled out, no roots, no nothing, just snaked it with the large snake with ball and hooks looking attachment on the end.

Toilet Paper - Quilter Northern

We dont flush any wipes down, we do not pour grease down the line nor flush any feminine products. It is only waste and toilet paper.

I will search for a good enzyme product. thanks!

Thanks for that information. I will leave the garage drain as it is.

What about pouring hot hot water down the drain every once in a while? Does that help out?
You said no chemicals. What about solutions that break down enzymes or is that really just another chemical?
When I said no chemicals down the drain, I was referring to harsh chemicals like acid-based and lye-based products. An enzyme-based product shouldn't cause a problem, but I'm skeptical about their use to prevent blockages in the drain lines. They are good for septic tank systems, but I don't see how enough of the product will stay in the main drain line to do any good.

But it won't hurt.

Nothing was pulled out, no roots, no nothing, just snaked it with the large snake with ball and hooks looking attachment on the end.

Toilet Paper - Quilter Northern

We dont flush any wipes down, we do not pour grease down the line nor flush any feminine products. It is only waste and toilet paper.

I will search for a good enzyme product. thanks!
I would check your toilet paper. Best way is to take a couple of sheets and hold under a faucet with water running. Does not need to be fully opened. If it breaks apart quick your good if it stays together or stays clumpy it is too thick and won't break up when flushed. Like I said I prefer Scott's one ply and will not allow my wife to get anything else. It really dissipates when flushed.

As far as grease all drains get grease due to washing dishes. But not pouring it down really helps. Enzymes are very effective. To test the quality put some in a cup with crisco. It should break up and dissolve over a few days or so.

When I said no chemicals down the drain, I was referring to harsh chemicals like acid-based and lye-based products. An enzyme-based product shouldn't cause a problem, but I'm skeptical about their use to prevent blockages in the drain lines. They are good for septic tank systems, but I don't see how enough of the product will stay in the main drain line to do any good.

But it won't hurt.

I understood :).

I have used enzymes myself and seen their effectiveness. They do work. Enzymes is a product for coating pipes to prevent build up. Not necessarily a drain cleaner even though certain circumstances they can help with a grease or soap buildup clog. It is safe for septic but not meant for septic maintenance. Rid ex is best for that. If you question enzymes effectiveness the answer can be found with township inspectors. Companies will have a timer installed on sinks with grease traps to help with cleaning their traps. The problem is it would start breaking up the grease and cause too much to flow out clogging up city mains. A lot of surrounding townships near me banned them due to this issue and will fine businesses that do use them. I was skeptical myself until I researched it and tried it myself.

I understood :).

I have used enzymes myself and seen their effectiveness. They do work. Enzymes is a product for coating pipes to prevent build up. Not necessarily a drain cleaner even though certain circumstances they can help with a grease or soap buildup clog. It is safe for septic but not meant for septic maintenance. Rid ex is best for that. If you question enzymes effectiveness the answer can be found with township inspectors. Companies will have a timer installed on sinks with grease traps to help with cleaning their traps. The problem is it would start breaking up the grease and cause too much to flow out clogging up city mains. A lot of surrounding townships near me banned them due to this issue and will fine businesses that do use them. I was skeptical myself until I researched it and tried it myself.
I fully agree with enzymes cleaning grease traps. And as you said in your earlier post, putting some in a cup with Crisco will break up and dissolve over a few days or so. But I question how effective it will be in a pipe with sewerage flowing through it that I would expect would flush any enzymes away down the sewer before they have a chance to do their thing.

I fully agree with enzymes cleaning grease traps. And as you said in your earlier post, putting some in a cup with Crisco will break up and dissolve over a few days or so. But I question how effective it will be in a pipe with sewerage flowing through it that I would expect would flush any enzymes away down the sewer before they have a chance to do their thing.
Gotcha. The ones I've looked into you let sit in the pipes for 8 hours then run hot water in each line for 1 minutes. It coats the pipes and lasts under normal to heavy usage for 1 month. Yes they do wash away and needs and need to recoat. Other products not sure. You would need to research their recommendations of usage.

Had the drain in my garage clog and spew sewage into my garage. Thankfully I got my stuff out of the way as I happened to be in the garage and heard it gurgle and start coming up. Made about a 5 foot round area of dirty water and sewage. Called local plumber who came out and ran his big snake down and appeared to clear things up as we were able to run water down the drain, run water in the house, flush the toilets and shower with no more issues coming from the drain. The question I wanted to as is, what kind of things can I do, if any, to prevent something like this from happening again? Is there something I can pour down the garage drain on a regular basis or preventative maintenance I could do from time to time to try and prevent issues from happening again? The drain does have the grate on top as well, its not wide open. I realize it could happen again, but if there are ways to help prevent it, I would love to know some.

I attached a picture of the drain clogged. The black pipe in the photo is not where the drain is.

I should also add this house was built in the 1950's and I don't know how / where the pipes go from the drain to other areas under the house I assume?
move in cleaning 30a
Thanks for your expertise and advice ahead of time!
I'm sorry to hear about the sewage backup in your garage. To help prevent such incidents in the future, here are some suggestions:

1. Regular maintenance: Consider scheduling regular drain cleaning or maintenance with a professional plumber. This can help prevent clogs and ensure the drains are clear and flowing properly.
  2. Be mindful of what goes down the drain: Avoid pouring grease, oil, food scraps, or other substances down the drain. These can accumulate and cause blockages over time. Instead, dispose of them in the appropriate manner.
  3. Use drain strainers: Install drain strainers or grates on your garage drain to catch debris and prevent it from going down the pipes. Regularly clean and empty the strainer to maintain its effectiveness.
  4. Water flow: Run water down the drain regularly to keep it flowing smoothly. Stagnant water can allow debris to settle and potentially cause clogs.
  5. Check the sewer line: Consider having a professional plumber inspect the sewer line connected to your garage drain. They can identify any potential issues or tree root intrusions that may lead to blockages.
It's important to note that if your house was built in the 1950s, the plumbing system might have aged pipes or potential vulnerabilities. Consulting a plumber with expertise in older homes can provide valuable insights and recommendations specific to your situation.

Back