Chemical Feed Volume

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would add a sanitizer to the WS (brine tank) and go from there as you have no easy access to sanitize just the one line.

The WH info was intended for education and if the complete system (hot side) had odor.

:confused: ...sigh...

As I sit here this SAT AM, having finished my coffee, wanting breakfast and possibly sex (neither of which my old lady will participate in :( ), this subject has me wondering.

A conditioner added to either an iron filter (to cleanse media) (and resultantly delivering...

EDIT-

... cleanse

Should read conditioned (iron removal) water as there may be other impurities.

KULTULZ Continues

... as the iron has been reduced but water to the WS only) and/or a conditioner added to a water softener (to cleanse brine and/or media) could not possibly clean the pipe age after the WS as usually it is suggested to back flush the system (the cleanser/conditioner being flushed before reaching the distribution system). There would only be cleansed X (Correction - Conditioned) water in the lines, no cleanser or disinfectant.

Either a drip cleaner system has to be used in the WS (so as to miss backwash cycles or a way to introduce a cleanser after the WS) (usually partially filling a post WS filter bowl).

Thoughts? :cool:

Last edited:
You could use a flow switch and a metering pump, but the concentration would vary based on the volume of flow.

I was thinking an H2O2 injection system. Usually, they are placed ahead of filters/softeners but I would be concerned about the quality of water after leaving the softener brine. Also, the later introduction of the peroxide would keep the actual plumbing clean (considering the filter media(s) have been spec'd correctly and are operating correctly). Maybe an early (to keep filtering media somewhat clean) and post softener intro? Could be done with a metering device @ the pump.

Well water is unlike municipal water whereas as the chlorine goes all the way to the taps (unless filtered out).

I appreciate all the consideration. Once again review my setup. Water enters the house from the well and passes through the 20" filter. It then goes into the standard water softener that uses salt, then passes through the WS that is adding chlorine bleach, presumably to treat iron as has been pointed out. That means the first softener is taking water that has not been treated for iron and maybe, just maybe, that media needs cleaning and can solve the mystery. Yes? Maybe? I'm headed out to buy some salt and some WS cleaner because my wife will not turn on that faucet. I don't blame her.

Once again review my setup. Water enters the house from the well and passes through the 20" filter. It then goes into the standard water softener that uses salt, then passes through the WS that is adding chlorine bleach, presumably to treat iron as has been pointed out.

That means the first softener is taking water that has not been treated for iron and maybe, just maybe, that media needs cleaning and can solve the mystery. Yes? Maybe?

I'm headed out to buy some salt and some WS cleaner because my wife will not turn on that faucet. I don't blame her.

It should be plumbed as the water first enters the iron filter (the unit on the left) (after the sediment/charcoal filter) (the black bucket designed to inject cleaner to keep the iron filter media clean that has been previously used for chlorine) and then pass to the actual softener shown on the right. The iron filter installed first will prevent iron contamination of the WS brine and media. A WS is not designed as a filter but as a water conditioner.

Injecting chlorine at the iron filter will most likely not reach the WS and if it does will be so diluted to not have any desired effect (IMO).

Is the cleaner bucket part of the system or an add-on and is it's maintenance included in the manual?

Odom doesn't seem to be too bright. Has one fine lady @ the house and he is sniffing coke at a cat house. The he overdoses like the moron he is and everyone feels sorry for him.

HEADLINE NEWS!
big%20laugh.gif

It should be plumbed as the water first enters the iron filter (the unit on the left) (after the sediment/charcoal filter) (the black bucket designed to inject cleaner to keep the iron filter media clean that has been previously used for chlorine) and then pass to the actual softener shown on the right. The iron filter installed first will prevent iron contamination of the WS brine and media. A WS is not designed as a filter but as a water conditioner.

Injecting chlorine at the iron filter will most likely not reach the WS and if it does will be so diluted to not have any desired effect (IMO).

Is the cleaner bucket part of the system or an add-on and is it's maintenance included in the manual?

The cleaner bucket (black) only injects into the 2nd WS. That WS is getting water already processed by the normal softener. I like your idea of having the water go through the iron softener first. That just makes sense to me. Iron could be fouling the media in the first softener. I'm going to add cleaner and cross my fingers. The cleaner bucket is not addressed in the manual. But I only have the manual for the WS #1. I don't believe I have the manual from the iron softener (#2).

wife aint acting wifey ?

tell ya what you do,

get a can of sliced pineapple, open the can, present her with a pineapple slice,

and a dollop of whip cream

just remember, it is all in the presentation..depending on your capabilities if you can offer her one slice or 2

I took all the salt out of the bin so I could add some cleaner near the bottom. When I got all the salt pellets out I found about 2-3 inches of a solid salt block on the bottom. Don't know if that can affect operation but I removed it. Added cleaner, new salt and ran a recharge cycle. Hopefully, something good will come from it.

I took all the salt out of the bin so I could add some cleaner near the bottom. When I got all the salt pellets out I found about 2-3 inches of a solid salt block on the bottom. Don't know if that can affect operation but I removed it.

Added cleaner, new salt and ran a recharge cycle. Hopefully, something good will come from it.

That's called a salt bridge. It will affect the backwash cycle. You have to check for them regularly. A broomstick should break them up.

Years ago, I tried that E.T. PHONE HOME with the REESES PIECES PLOY... ;)

I lined them up on the floor to the bedroom and sure enough she fell for it. But as she neared the bed and saw me, she immediately complained of being sickened from all that candy and slept on the couch...
redhead-girl-says-no-smiley-emoticon.gif

Not sure about all the fruit and candy tricks discussed here but I can sadly report that I have had no improvement yet in my single smelly faucet. Although I feel my water softener is functioning at a high level. Now I guess I need to clean the second softener and hope for the best.

Not sure about all the fruit and candy tricks discussed here...

We (actually I) got side tracked. It isn't how it is supposed to work but you know how children are. That's my fault... ;)

offtopic.gif

gregp553 Continues said:
...but I can sadly report that I have had no improvement yet in my single smelly faucet. Although I feel my water softener is functioning at a high level.

Now I guess I need to clean the second softener and hope for the best.

If the water softener is plumbed before the iron filter (I believe that is what you posted), I doubt any WS brine/media cleanser will reach the distribution pipes. It (most) will be flushed with the back wash feature most likely.

And then to add to the problem, there is no cleaner/conditioner in the iron filter conditioner container and most likely the iron filter media has became fouled and is possibly releasing partially fouled water directly to the distribution pipes. A water softener is a water conditioner and not a filter. While it may remove some iron (or possibly all iron in a low iron situation), the iron and magnesium should be removed before entering the WS to prevent excessive BRINE fouling (IMO).

How often do you change the pre-filter?

I NEED AN OFFICIAL RULING HERE BY AN EXPERT... :cool:

Can you post a close-up detailed photo of the WS-IF supply plumbing to ascertain how it is plumbed?

Water Softener (w Iron Filter On L) Install (Dual) _1.jpg

I was thinking an H2O2 injection system. Usually, they are placed ahead of filters/softeners but I would be concerned about the quality of water after leaving the softener brine. Also, the later introduction of the peroxide would keep the actual plumbing clean (considering the filter media(s) have been spec'd correctly and are operating correctly). Maybe an early (to keep filtering media somewhat clean) and post softener intro? Could be done with a metering device @ the pump.

Well water is unlike municipal water whereas as the chlorine goes all the way to the taps (unless filtered out).

I need an expert to correct my theory if wrong.

The H2O2 injection system-

Usually introduced before the filtering system to control hydrogen sulfide and otherwise sanitize the water (well system), a split (two points of injection) would also sanitize the distribution system after the filtering system to control a problem the poster has.

H2O2 System _2.png

Back