Can I use a shark bite fitting over this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlukas

Reaction score
The stem of this hose bib burst during a recent freeze (should have spent the extra $15 on a frost-free bib).

Given the location, I've opted for a replacement bib with shark bite fitting, rather than trying to crimp PEX rings in that tight space.

Question: if I carefully cut the existing copper ring off with a Dremel, will the PEX beneath it be too deformed from the crimp to seal properly? I don't really have enough length in that horizontal section to cut it--i would have to cut the whole elbow and redo it with a shark bite elbow. Which is not that big a deal, but want to avoid if not necessary.

1000004408.jpg1000004409.jpg

That is a frost free hose bib. I would not trust a sharkbite to properly seal on the crimped area. It would've been better to open the interior wall and have drywall to repair than to have to try and repair the siding. Friendly reminder to not leave hoses on in the winter.

Thanks! Yeah unfortunately, there's tile on the interior wall opposite the hose bib, otherwise I'd have gone in that way. Luckily, though, I originally installed the bib into a block rather than directly into the siding, so it should be easy to reinstall with some backing without having to mess with siding.

So wait, why do you say the existing one is frost-free? Is it just because of the longer stem? If so, then why did it freeze?!

The thing has been there for 8 years without issue, but we had record low temps in Seattle this winter and it wreaked havoc like I've never experienced.

If you don't have one, i would find that line inside and install a shutoff valve, and drain the water from the outside to prevent it from freezing.

This is a standard hose bibb.

1711633879894.png

This is a frost freer hose bibb.

1711634162963.png

So as GReynolds929 said, you have a frost freer hose bibb. His suggestion about removing hoses in the winter is a primary cause of frost-free bibbs freezing.

1711634722030.png

The valve seat is at the end of the frost-free hose bibb. The only way your bibb could have frozen and broke where it did is for there to be water between the valve seat and the hose connection. And the only way water could be there would be something keeping it from draining out, like a hose.

Thanks! Yeah unfortunately, there's tile on the interior wall opposite the hose bib, otherwise I'd have gone in that way. Luckily, though, I originally installed the bib into a block rather than directly into the siding, so it should be easy to reinstall with some backing without having to mess with siding.

So wait, why do you say the existing one is frost-free? Is it just because of the longer stem? If so, then why did it freeze?!

The thing has been there for 8 years without issue, but we had record low temps in Seattle this winter and it wreaked havoc like I've never experienced.
A hose left on the sillcock so it can’t drain

Record cold temps…..

The valve may not be pitched down so it can completely drain and maybe it had a slight leak.

I’m just guessing.

Did it leak all the time or just when you tried to use it ?

The thing has been there for 8 years without issue, but we had “record low temps in Seattle this winter” and it wreaked havoc like I've never experienced.
Seemingly, you have answered your own question.

Thanks all, this has been enlightening. I didn't realize the stem was unique to frost-free bibs. And indeed, the hose wasn't disconnected before the freeze. I still use the hose a fair amount during winter so I try to only disconnect when we're expecting a hard freeze (which is probably like 3 days per year in Seattle), but I blew it this time and it cost me. Won't be doing that again.

I also likely did not pitch the valve down as I should have when I installed it. Will make sure to do that this time around.

And final takeaway is that it sounds like I do indeed need to replace that whole PEX elbow, so the crimped end doesn't mess with the shark bite seal on the new bib.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out; much appreciated 🙏

Latest posts

Back