Can anyone tell me if this a septic?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quercifolia

Reaction score
I recently purchased a cabin and was told that this cover is for the well water. I don’t believe this is accurate. Why would it say “do not open, poison gas.” There is a greywater system for the two sinks and shower. After brush-hogging the land, I discovered this might be a septic and noticed the ground was wet and a bit mushy where the leach field could be. Can a septic guy advise? Thank you so much.

Attachments

• 1FED66D1-4FAB-4540-A460-27993F751FD4.png
    1FED66D1-4FAB-4540-A460-27993F751FD4.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 5A7B3073-0271-4C13-AB84-ED42A00EC067.png
    5A7B3073-0271-4C13-AB84-ED42A00EC067.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • C2D14B2A-8CE4-4ACF-B6D2-40573CC374E2.png
    C2D14B2A-8CE4-4ACF-B6D2-40573CC374E2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Could be either one, take the cover off and see! It could be an artesian well that is overflowing and causing the wet spot. If that's not your well, where is it, and where is the pump and pressure tank?

Could be either one, take the cover off and see! It could be an artesian well that is overflowing and causing the wet spot. If that's not your well, where is it, and where is the pump and pressure tank?
Pump and tank are inside the cabin, near kitchen sink. I need to walk the land more and find the well if that’s not it. Until yesterday it was all overgrown. Thanks for the advice.

Looks like septic by the lid.
Right? Why would an artesian well cover say poison gas? Does this mean there should be another opening nearby if it is a septic? Should be two holes always or sometimes one?

Could be that it is just an available lid used to cover a well, or it could be a septic tank. Doesn't look like any septic tank opening I've seen. As stated above open it and find out. No danger in opening, just don't fall in lol.

Could be that it is just an available lid used to cover a well, or it could be a septic tank. Doesn't look like any septic tank opening I've seen. As stated above open it and find out. No danger in opening, just don't fall in lol.
Will do. Thank you.

Will do. Thank you.
My old business partner had a well and septic system at his log home in Vermont, on a hill in East Arlington. The first year there they discovered the well didn’t produce enough water when guests came. So soon they installed a buried concrete tank that held a lot of water as a buffer against these times.

Maybe you have a similar situation?

I’m guessing that’s the cover they had available when they (replaced, installed?) the well cover. As others have said, open it carefully and don’t fall in.

If you have a well and septic system anywhere near each other that was installed several decades ago you definitely want to get your well water tested!

My old business partner had a well and septic system at his log home in Vermont, on a hill in East Arlington. The first year there they discovered the well didn’t produce enough water when guests came. So soon they installed a buried concrete tank that held a lot of water as a buffer against these times.

Maybe you have a similar situation?
Good call and thanks. I’ll be up there this weekend and will check it out and report back. I appreciate it.

I’m guessing that’s the cover they had available when they (replaced, installed?) the well cover. As others have said, open it carefully and don’t fall in.

If you have a well and septic system anywhere near each other that was installed several decades ago you definitely want to get your well water tested!
Will check and report back. Thank you.

here’s what’s under the cover! It was too heavy to lift without really trying. Is it a well?

Attachments

• FEF48B52-2D00-41FD-8C03-55A8E1A0A6A9.jpeg
    FEF48B52-2D00-41FD-8C03-55A8E1A0A6A9.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1

The green cover looks like a riser lid (I have two in my backyard - no more digging up the backyard to pump the tank). Now the thing under the lid? No idea. Get an OLD septic guy out there. Tank design changes over the years, they might know something.

I had a cast concrete well cover (although it was square), but once I got it out, I never put it back (just used a wooden cover instead and repaired or replaced it every decade).

This still could be either, see if you can’t get a long crowbar under the handle and lift it up.

Back