Can’t pump septic tank please help.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arijrak

Reaction score
Is there an alternative to pumping? We bought our house and it was missed in inspection that the Septic Tank was covered by the homes addition. It’s a sun room with a hot tub . We have dug around and the lines run out from underneath. Is there a chemical or treatment that you would recommend to prolong the system working.

You’ll need to break the floor out of the addition if it’s a slab and pump the tank. Then extend the drain lines to the outside and install a new tank. Then fill the old tank with dirt then replace the slab.

Good luck 👍

I’d call around to all the septic tank companies in the area and ask them if they ever serviced your address. If they have ask what they did and when. Although some may not admit they have without knowing your motives and they likely won’t ask.

I’d call around to all the septic tank companies in the area and ask them if they ever serviced your address. If they have ask what they did and when. Although some may not admit they have without knowing your motives and they likely won’t ask.
I found a company that actually came out to the house and dug to try to find it. They found what he said a junction box under edge of the foundation. He said the only way is to put in a new tank. With the digging and rerouting of the lines to the drain field it’s only a little more money for a full system. I was hoping that there was some kind of treatment that might help keep it healthy longer so I don’t have to replace it as soon. Messing with the foundation/slab or taking the hot tub out are two things I would rather not attempt.

You need a lawyer, not a plumber.
Joe-H has a great point.

You say it was missed in inspection. So, there MAY be liability with the inspection company. But I would say there would very likely be liability with the seller and/or with the seller's realtor. A septic tank covered by room addition would be something that would be required to be on a disclosure document.

And putting a room addition over a septic tank would likely not be permitted, assuming this is in an area covered by permits.

Joe-H has a great point.

You say it was missed in inspection. So, there MAY be liability with the inspection company. But I would say there would very likely be liability with the seller and/or with the seller's realtor. A septic tank covered by room addition would be something that would be required to be on a disclosure document.

And putting a room addition over a septic tank would likely not be permitted, assuming this is in an area covered by permits.
Unfortunately it’s small farm in county land. Extremely rural no permit needed. That was my first corse. Being new to septic tanks I was taken advantage of a little. After passing inspection I thought we were good to go but unfortunately I should have done a separate inspection on the system. Said and done I am still extremely happy with what was paid and what we have received. Putting in a new system someday will be ok for us. I was just trying to postpone it for as long as possible. Thanks for trying to help I really appreciate it.

What TwoWaxHack said about calling to find whomever serviced it last did sounds to me like the best starting point. Unless the addition is very new, the tank had to have been emptied sometime.

Perhaps there is a remote access pipe or duct buried somewhere outside. That would be great!

I would try to find someone to pump it out that has a smaller suction hose and try to go in either the inlet or outlet pipe. Something like a 2-inch hose should turn down when it hits the baffle, and should pump it out pretty thoroughly. The other option is to figure out where the tank is and core drill an access hole in the floor, if it's concrete, or if it's wood just cut a hole. After each pumping it need to be well sealed to prevent sewer gas from entering the room. If no inspection is required, you could get by for many years. We only spend 7 months in our primary home, and there are only the 2 of us, I'm going to wait at least 10 years before pumping again. When our 2 boys were home and we lived in that house year around we had it pumped every 2 years, but I'm not sure that was necessary. But, when we sold it, it passed the inspection!

The reason for pumping is to get the solids out that settle and build up. You can't direct the hose and get all the solids without a large access into the tank, hence the reason for the tank openings.

I used to work with a fellow that pumped septic tanks as a sideline. He would pump out about half of the effluent, and then pump some of it back in under pressure to agitate the tank. He could get a tank pretty clean through a small opening. Not all pumping trucks have that capability.

When I get my septic tank pumped, I get the entire 1200 gal tank pumped out and washed down with a garden hose. It’s been pumped once in 20yrs

This thread got me thinking it had to be time to get my tank pumped... it's been 14 years. The first time It had never occurred to me to have it done and it was 20+ years. (With 4 of us) they said it looked fine , it could have went longer. (175 to have it done in 2009) 350 to do it now. I'm curious as to what shape it's in now.

Throw a Christmas party, invite lot's of relatives. That's how I have always found out that my tank needed pumping :)

Don't panic about the tank yet. Any idea how many people lived in the house before you? Does your kitchen have a garbage disposal? As a rule, septic and garbage disposals are a bad combo, then again, I had 13 people in my house for 20 years or so, now down to 6 adults and a yard ape. How much water do you use? This all tends to load the system, but it does give you an idea of what the tank has been dealing with.

As for building the addition over the tank, wow. If you went through a realtor, I'd think this was a failure to disclose. But you seem to be a pretty mellow guy, balancing the tank surprise with what you bought. You might be able to get someone to get a camera in there.

Back