Buying a home: sewage ejector pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aclarino

Reaction score
My husband and I are looking at buying a home. We are looking in CT. The home is on a hill below grade. It has a large sewage ejector pump that pumps to the street sewer that services the whole home in the basement. We are really torn since the home is perfect in every other way. We arw trying to find out more info which is how I found this forum. What should be be looking out for? What should be be asking? Should we pass all together? What are the risks of getting a home like this? This is will be our first home.

I have worked on several homes in Ann Arbor Michigan that have lift stations in the yards. They have gravity sewers in the house that go to the stations in the yards. Then from the yards pump up to the street. they have back up pumps and alarms on primary pumps to notify when the primary goes down.

Not sure how your setup is, you may want to inquire as to how they have it setup.

I have a sewage ejector pump for my washing machine drain and my basement bathroom all it does is pump up a couple of feet into the main sewer line and it goes right out into my septic. Make sure that the pit is completely sealed and that is plumbed correctly other than that something like that shouldn't be a reason to pass up a house

I believe there case is different. You have a hung sewer that the lower level pumps into. In their case, i believe the house is lower than the main city system

concept is exactly the same their whole house drains into a pit in the basement as they mentioned and then the pump pumps it up to the Sewer.

Except for that you are on a gravity system that a couple of fixtures pump up into. It sounds as though their basement is below the city sewer level. So, if they have a check valve failure, they might not know, as the pump will keep the backflow pumped out. Now, if there were a power failure, their pump is not working, everybody who is higher than them can be dumping sewage into their basement.

Thank you everyone for your input. The home is below the city sewer line so everything gets pumped up to it. Which is 3 bathrooms, laundry, kitchen and what not. We are leaning towards passing on the home. Thank you!

I Michigan it is rare that those pits are in the house. When it comes time to change the pump it requires access to pit which creates quite a stink, much better if outside.

One pump life span about ten years
Second pit should have a alarm system to let you know if the pump is not running
Third when time to change pump I would look into a grinding pump
Have it inspected by a plumber do not rely on home inspector

I would not want to have to worry about my sewer malfunctioning and destroying my property.
You would have to diligently be concerned about maintaining the system.

I have a hard enough time maintaining a supply of extra rolls under the sink.
I would pass.

Back