Building a BBQ/Bar in my back yard.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to let you guys know it has been over 80 the last three days and I wish I was done with this BBQ. I may be jobless in the next few days so I will have more time to work.;)

Yeah... heard about the job via JF...

And you could either have more time, or have work pick up for you personally and have NO time! hehe...

Yeah... heard about the job via JF...

And you could either have more time, or have work pick up for you personally and have NO time! hehe...

Hopefully a little of both. I can sure get used to working from home like this.

I finally got out there and did some work. I started framing for the BBQ/Bar. I was gonna use steal studs but wood was 1/3 of the cost and me being out of work right now that made sense. Here is a pic of the back portion where the BBQ itself is going to sit. The bar is going to wrap around, I will have pics of that portion this afternoon I actually have a job for the day.

0228001528.jpg

Will you have it ready by summer Chris?

As long as I keep getting side jobs it wont be a problem. Here are a couple of pics of the shape it will be. I have another side job today so I won't be getting any work done on it until possibly tomorrow. This is the first winter in years that we had any considerable amount of rain and that has been slowing me down a bit.

0302000620.jpg

0302000620a.jpg

Looks like it will all fit perfectly! Just by looking at the base of the deck, I was thinking it might be cramped, but I am wrong... Lucky for you! hahahaha

Looks like it will all fit perfectly! Just by looking at the base of the deck, I was thinking it might be cramped, but I am wrong... Lucky for you! hahahaha

I spent several hours throwing out ideas and laying sticks on the floor to see how things would fit. If I could do it again I would build the whole thing bigger, I have to remember that this is also just an addition to what I already have which is a patio that is 10' x 30' so room should not be an issue. I was hoping to be tearing down the old patio by now to replace with a matching one but not working has put a hold on that. I am throwing out ideas to myself about how to save part of the old one and make it match the new but it has been painted and I don't really feel like sand blasting it back to natural so maybe painting it wood color is an option. I really want this project to be done by summer so I can get started on the next one.

Your new deck has that rough-cut natural look, and I dont think you can recreate that with paint... You could reuse the main framing of the old arbor, but use somthing like cedar fence pickets to basically veneer over the old stuff... it will make it appear thicker and the cedar will weather nicer than just pine. Dont really have many ideas other than that cause we've only ever seen the corner of it while you are pic whoring your BBQ deck... :)

I will try and get a pic later on of the whole thing but it is so ugly I didn't want anyone seeing it.:eek: I will be replacing the uprights with logs that match the other part and probably replacing those 2x6's up top with 4x6's or like you said just boxing them in with cedar. I have a buddy that runs a lumber yard so I get a pretty good deal on wood products.

Last edited:
Looking at some of your pics... Could you possibly tie the 2 together structurally? Using the pitch of the new roof, it looks like it would run right into the header for the arbor... Then part of your arbor roof could overhang the new deck roof just in that section... You would likely need a gutter to keep the rain from channelling straight down between the 2 patios, but I think you might need that regardless...

Here are a couple of pics of the rest of my tore up yard. Don't mind the mess it's been a busy year. Pretty much everything in the yard is on it's way out. I am taking it all down to dirt and starting over. That white portion of patio coming out into the yard will be gone and the rest of the white patio is what is going to be retrofitted to match the new portion. The pics make my yard look pretty small but the lot is actually 12,000 sq ft which aint to bad for a track home in SoCal. The slider and the window to the left of it are both going to switched out to french doors and I will most likely paint the house. I will be installing a pool in the big dirt area behind the logs and trailer. Also the trailer is going to be moved forward 20 feet so you wont be able to see it from the back yard.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pics of what I got done done this afternoon, would have been more but I ran out of 2x4's.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I am still so incredibly jealous! And FWIW... My dad has that same drill...

That one is the Porter Cable drill and I love the thing. I found the coolest store ever yesterday. The Habitat for Humanity Restore you should check it out they have new and used building materials for dirt cheap prices. I am still in awww about it. I almost had a set of french doors for the back of my house but I had to run home and measure and when I got back there was a guy in line buying them.

OK here is todays update. It really sucks the last 5 years I have been needing more time to get my projects finish and now that I am unemployed I have all the time in the world but not the cash to finish them.:(

Well here are a couple of pics, I would have gotten more done but I ran out of screws this time.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

I have this vision of you wearing a hawaiin shirt, shades, and flinging bottles around like Tom Cruise in Cocktail... No pics required... seriously... its not pretty...

Back