Bosch Dishwasher Spray Arm

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyburns

Reaction score
I have a Bosch Dishwasher that is about 5 years old (SHE3AR72UC/22), it has always been a bit of a lemon on cleaning and I am constantly cleaning the spray arms and such to get it to clean the dishes. Now the upper spray arm does not move spin at all and the bottom cleans at about 80%. When you open the dishwasher when running you can see water running out of the upper spray arm through the holes but the arm has not moved. I have taken the spray arm apart, soaked, clean and inspected and I do not see anything wrong. Should I try replacing that part or is it a probably an issue with the motor or something not suppling enough water.

Do Bosch D/W's have a screen that could get clogged in the incoming water line? I believe the spray arm is run completely on water pressure, and a partially clogged screen would reduce this pressure. It is worth checking before purchasing any parts.

Do you rinse dishes before loading into dishwasher. I love watching the commercials where they say you don't need to rinse before throwing in the dishwasher. Like Havasu says, check the screen. I have cleaned my screen once in 20 plus years. I rinse thoroughly before loading in dishwasher.

Assuming that the spray arms move freely when you spin them by hand, either the pump impeller intake is clogged or the pump's given up the ghost.

My LG sump assembly has a diverter mechanism to direct the water from the bottom to the top and midsection and that has gone bad never sending water to the upper two arms. If the bottom one turns and the other one doesn't that could be the cause.

Last edited:
Do you rinse dishes before loading into dishwasher. I love watching the commercials where they say you don't need to rinse before throwing in the dishwasher. Like Havasu says, check the screen. I have cleaned my screen once in 20 plus years. I rinse thoroughly before loading in dishwasher.
I agree with you totally and so, in effect, the dishwasher is little more than a glorified dish drying machine.

Some American brands have a garbage disposal built in. Bosch does not. Their recommendation is to rinse only loose food off— nothing else. The arms move with water pressure. They have a drain screen assembly, micro-mesh stainless steel that needs occasional cleaning. You need the high loop drain like all dishwashers. Use a good quality tablet, like Finish brand, which they also recommend, as the cheap stuff doesn’t work. If your hot water heater is distant from your kitchen, run the faucet until it gets hot before starting. Modern dishwashers use very little water so it best be HOT. I’ve had three Bosch dishwashers. A middle of the road model bought in 2001; their cheapest model bought in 2018, and their high end 800 series bought a year ago. (Three different homes!) All have been cleaning dishes perfectly.

The dishwashers I have had all came with instructions to not rinse dishes prior to washing, as the DWs are designed to utilize the food scraps as cleaning agents. I presume this feature is universal. We never rinse and have had zero cleansing issues. FWIW.

Maybe I am anal, but I scrub and rinse my dishes before placing them in the dishwasher.

Since there is only two of us here, it will take a week or more to run the dishwasher. Any food left on the plate begins to rot and stink.

Latest posts

Back