Black growth in toilet bowl after a few weeks away

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whythelongface

Reaction score
I left home for a few weeks. Right before leaving, I disinfected all three toilets. On return, there was an awful smell and I found a disgusting thick black film on the upstairs toilet. Initially, based on the snell, I thought an animal had died in the house. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the thought to photograph it. After some scrubbing and flushing, it’s clean again. The other toilets did not have this issue.

Wondering what it might be in case I leave home again, I can make sure nothing like that happens again.

The two upstairs toilets don’t always flush all the way (requiring a few flushes until the water is clear).

My hypothesis is that either there was an “incomplete flush” and the bacteria grew from that. Or that the water evaporated enough that the bacteria came from the sewage? But I have no idea.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I guess it’s mildew. That’s the only answer I have for you. Or something backed up into that bowl some how from above, if there’s nothing above, then that would be be possible.

Anything in the bathtub of that restroom ? Or was it clean ? If it has a bathtub or shower.

This is the top floor bathroom. There is a shower (no tub) and sink. Both of those seem okay. The film was quite thick and isolated to where the water is and stuck to the bowl at the water line. No marking or anything above that line, which I would have expected if it was mold. But I could be wrong.

Also the smell was definitely some strange mix of dead animal and vomit (not to get too graphic).

Thanks so much for your help!

I have a vacation home that doesn't get used for months at a time. When I leave, I will pour a cup of Lysol in the toilet bowls, and place a bucket of water next to the toilet to stop the P Trap from drying out. If it does, I have the smell of raw sewage in the house. We have considered wrapping Saran Wrap over the bowl to stop the toilet from evaporating, but concerned someone will run inside after the 4 hour drive, not realizing the Saran Wrap is over the toilet, and I'd have a mess to clean up!

Back