better PEX crimp

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bw Coast

Reaction score
I have the pex crimp that has to be wide open to get a full grip on those stainless clamps that I use and like. Never had one fail.
But today I got screwed because there was not enough room inside the wall th get the handles wide open.....Is there a better crimp tool for those stainless rings that doesn't need as wide of a stance to get on the ring...? thanks

For tight spaces, perhaps keep some Oetiker style "stepless" clamps around, along with an Oetiker plyer. It fits in very small places. (I just checked one that I have and, at full open, the ends of the handles are 150 mm apart (just under 6") The ears never have to be that far open to crimp- even with large diameter.

Knipex makes one, too (#10 98 120), as do other companies.
I like the Oetiker that has a top and a side crimping surface (Model HIP1099) so it can be used when parallel to the PEX tubing. The side jaw makes removing the clamp easier, too. Search: "Oetiker Side Jaw Pincer" or "Oetiker Dual Jaw Pincer".

PLAN B:
If you're using PEX type A, keep a few expansion type fittings, expansion rings and an inexpensive, generic hand expansion tool around for tight spaces.

PHOTOS-
Red Handle = Single Top Jaw Pincer
Blue Handle = Top and Side Jaw (HIP1099)
Clamp = Typical "Stepless" clamp in stainless steel.

Attachments

• Plyer.png
    Plyer.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Pincer.png
    Pincer.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Stepless.png
    Stepless.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back