basin wrench

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritz57

Reaction score
have older Am Standard pedestal lav sinks that I can't get in to change the cartridge with a telescoping basin wrench.
It's a 1.5" nut and there just ain't no room to get at it. The top escutcheon and mounting plate have fused together with mineral deposit.
Might this thing work to loosen the nut, or not strong/large enough to do the job?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 1.18.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 1.18.02 PM.png
    296.1 KB · Views: 2
top shot and underneath

Attachments

• IMAG1805.jpg
    IMAG1805.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1807.jpg
    IMAG1807.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
You understand that loosening the bottom nut will not allow the valve to come all the way off the lavatory ?

There’s a deck plate the escutcheon screws down on. Here’s a replacement escutcheon.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4038086177...jcRu4xsSwS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
You might just need to wrap it in duct tape and get rough with it. If that’s a metal water supply line coming up from the valve be prepared to replace it or remove it before you start work. If the valve body spins it’s going to ruin it.

Last edited:
the valve does come off with just the bottom nut. I did it on the other sink, NP.
Have to disconnect the supply and spout connects, then spin it out of the deck plate.
The deck plate/escutcheon always fuse. The last time I changed a valve I had to get new ones of both cuz they got trashed. Brilliant AS design.
Although perhaps I should try drowning the pair in vinegar for a while. In theory, I think it won't leak.

Disconnected the supply before I took a shot at the valve body.

But all this doesn't answer the original question. Whether the afore pic'd wrench is up to the job of the bottom nut.

How do you get the bottom nut off the valve body to allow it to come out of the sink hole ?

The parts breakdown shows it can’t……but you’re the boss.

No, the red wrench you have pictured will not loosen the bottom nut of your A.S. Widespread faucet.

Good luck 👍

"How do you get the bottom nut off the valve body to allow it to come out of the sink hole"
Can't, but with the spout and supply disconnected, you can spin the valve out of the deck plate.
Guess when my patience rerunrs, I'll have to give the basin wrench another go.
As I said - Brilliant AS design.
thanks.

"How do you get the bottom nut off the valve body to allow it to come out of the sink hole"
Can't, but with the spout and supply disconnected, you can spin the valve out of the deck plate.
Guess when my patience rerunrs, I'll have to give the basin wrench another go.
As I said - Brilliant AS design.
thanks.
Then you don’t need to loosen the bottom nut. Just disconnect everything and spin the bottom part clockwise.

But still, if it’ll spin off the valve body by turning the valve body then it should spin off by turning the escutcheon.

the key is getting the escutcheon off. But it also the problem. all 4 escutcheons on both sinks fused to the deck plate.
2 I got lucky and manged to get off for cartridge change. 1 I trashed. This one may be the same. Seems the cold faucets fuse like concrete.
I didn't get that wrench and when I contacted AS, there was no mention of a special wrench. Although it does look a little short in that pic.

Clamp some visegrips on the valve underneath and position them against the wall so they prevent the valve from spinning.

Then get rough with the escutcheon from the water top. It’s replaceable.

argh!

Attachments

• 220125-atlanta-zoo-ozzie-male-gorilla-obit-ac-849p-0cdfbe.jpg
    220125-atlanta-zoo-ozzie-male-gorilla-obit-ac-849p-0cdfbe.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I’ll give you some advice and it’s what I do for all my high end clients where cost isn’t an issue.

I take everything apart and grease it with silicone grease. 95% of repairing a faucet is getting it apart.

"I take everything apart and grease it with silicone grease. 95% of repairing a faucet is getting it apart."

Thats is something I have learned well this last go round. Silicon grease is my friend. Gonna buy the family size tube.

Back