Basement Plumbing Advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yargnawh

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First I want to thank anyone who's taking the time to read this and offer their advice. I'm an over-confident DIYer, probably biting off more than I can chew, but for something like this I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Secondly, want to apologize if any of my plans appears poorly drawn, stupid or ignorant. I feel like I've done ample research, but a few days of Googling and Youtubing is nothing compared to years of experience.

So the plan is to build a bathroom with shower in my basement. I never used a 3d modeling software until I wrote this post, so the pipe fittings ARE NOT ACCURATE in drawing. Assume the pipes are sloped properly (1/4" per foot for waste and vents). Stud placement is not to scale

This is the top view:

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 11.53.47 PM.png

A few things to note:
- I'm located in NJ.
- The bathroom is 5' wide and roughly 13' in length.
- Due to the location of existing lally columns, ducts, stairs, and other "un-movables", this is the best use of space.
- The sewage pit placement can be moved maybe a few inches.
- The toilet wall is framed with 2"x6"

This is a side-ish view:

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 11.53.39 PM.png

Back View:

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 11.54.13 PM.png

Rendered View:

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 6.01.22 PM.png

Additional Questions:
- Venting:​
* True/false, AAV can be used for the sink + toilet + shower?-​
* True/false, the sewage pit vent CANNOT be combined with the sink + toilet + shower vent?​
* If it cannot be combined and no AAV, does that mean I need to run TWO 2" pipes from the basement ALL THE WAY to the roof?!​
* Can I use a wye for the vent fitting off of the waste pipe? Can't find an exact answer for horizontal venting...​

- Main Line:​
* For the ejector discharge, starting from the bottom:​
- 2" pipe ==>​
- check value ==>​
- on/off valve ==>​
- 90 deg elbow to horizontal, higher than the main line (regular or long sweep?) ==>​
- 90 deg elbow to vertical in to ==>​
- 4" x 2" x 4" wye (spliced in the main line using 2 x 4" No Hub Coupling)​
- Ejector:​
* True/false, should be on separate GFCI breaker?​

Again, thanks again for reading and advising.

There are ways to make things function but that doesn’t mean your local code enforcement officer will allow it.

As you’ve researched, there are tricks that can eliminate vents. While it may work, it can cause future problems and require more maintenance.

The wyes for your shower vent and toilet vent need to be rolled up to at least a 45 degree angle because they are dry vents. They’re not washed so they can’t be horizontal.

Personally I would eliminate the toilet vent. It can use the shower vent, it’ll be a wet vent. But you still need to roll the shower and now new toilet wet vent on at least a 45 angle up from flat.

I wouldn’t use a long sweep 90 to turn out of the wall for the lavatory. Just a regular sweep 90 will be fine. The long sweep ells have a tendency to stick too far out of the wall and can make connection some style lavatories a cluster.

If possible, just run the ejector vent out separately. It’ll satisfy everyone.

If it’s getting inspected or you want to comply with local codes then I would get the plan approved by the local inspector flunky…….🤣

Just another suggestion to consider. If you run your shower drain towards the toilet, your shower vent can go directly vertical up the wall. That provides a little cleaner installation. And as Twowaxhack said, that vent will also properly vent your toilet as well, provided your local jurisdiction doesn't have something that precludes that.

1706205963906.png

You did a nice job on your drawing. I was expecting worse. I would do like TWH said and take it to your health dept and
let the plumbing inspector look at your drawing and let him make changes that are needed. Then when you are doing the
job you will know that you are doing it according to his specs.

@Twowaxhack @TomFOhio

Thanks! Appreciate the comments. Definitely would reduce the work using the shower vent as a wet vent, I'll update the plans accordingly. These plans will eventually be submitted to the local building dept, just hoping to "pass" on the first round since the review turnaround is like 2-3 weeks.

As it stands, the biggest obstacle is going to be running two 2 inch vent pipes up to the roof. Directly above the planned location is two bathrooms (on the first and one on the second floor). So I have two follow up questions:

1) Can I run a stand-alone 2" pipe for the ejector to the roof BUT share the vent of the first floor bathroom for the fixtures?
2) Say I do run two 2" pipes to the attic, can I merge it into a larger diameter pipe, so I only need to punch one hole in the roof?
3) Running a straight vertical pipe from the basement to the roof is borderline impossible, what does the plumbing code (NSPC) say in the terms of bends for vent pipes? Is there a limit to the number of turns?

Latest posts

Back