Back water valves in bathroom floor?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shyitalian

Reaction score
We are putting in a bathroom in our basement and our contractor installed two new back water valves in the floor of the bathroom. I'm concerned that the access covers to these valves are going to screw up the look of the bathroom floor since they are right in the entrance to the bathroom.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

1693272095003.png

That is completely inappropriate.
The Rectorseal Clean Check is designed to be installed outdoors as per instructions.
Normal installation is to run the main drain outside the dwelling and have the appropriate line(s) protected; usually a single 3".

So these aren’t necessary if we already have one just outside the house?

If you were in my shoes would you ask the contractor to remove these new valves?

Backwater valves are specifically used to prevent inflow when piping is below a street manhole or equal.
Not enough info to determine why they are there.

Some parts of DC have combined sewer and storm water drains

Yes, I think we have combined sewer and storm. Storm drain may enter from uphill of this but we’re well above any manholes/street.

Backwater valves are not used here. They’re illegal.

The way it’s done here is fixtures lower than the manhole, like a basement are piped into a basin and a sewage pump is used to lift the waste to the sewer.

If the house itself is lower than the manhole or otherwise subject to backflow, a 4” pipe is extended above grade outside and a 180 fitting is installed on top as an overflow.

Back