Asking for recommendation for a whole house single cartridge filtration system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jprzybilla

Reaction score
Can you recommend for me a good brand name for a whole house single cartridge style 4'5"x10" for my well water, one that won't leak, crack or explode, seems to be many complaints among customers with this issue.

For the last 15 years I've been using Omni u25 2"x10", using a carbon block filter cartridge with good filtering results. This Omni u25 is no longer available and seems people are having issues with the latest versions

The last few years it's been a struggle for me replacing the cartridge in this Omni, needing to reinstall it 2-4 times before it would stop leaking. I only need to replace the cartridge 2 or 3 times per year.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20240221_100205.jpg
    20240221_100205.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 0
I have installed and used omni filters for over 40 years, with very few problems, but the ones I use look a little smaller than the one in your photo but uses the same size filter element. It's important to clean the threads thoroughly on the canister and replace the O-ring when necessary. I did have a leak on the bypass/bleeder valve once and had to change that O-ring too.

I have installed and used omni filters for over 40 years, with very few problems, but the ones I use look a little smaller than the one in your photo but uses the same size filter element. It's important to clean the threads thoroughly on the canister and replace the O-ring when necessary. I did have a leak on the bypass/bleeder valve once and had to change that O-ring too.
I wasn't aware there was an o ring in the bypass/bleeder valve, this is where a major leak occurred on my last filter change, I'm afraid to attempt the next filter change without a backup filter system.

If there are any leaks after the filter change whether from the filter housing thread and now, the bypass valve, I let it leak into a 5 gallon container below the filter system, it eventually stops after 24 hours.

Is there a way to get to the bypass o ring to replace it. I'd like to still run this Omni if the o ring can be replaced.

I don't remember exactly how I fixed it, but when it wouldn't stop leaking, I took it apart and fixed it. But that's what I have done for 55 years!

I regularly had leak problems when I changed filters, until I bought a couple big tubes of food-grade silicone grease and liberally applied it to the filter threads and to the o-ring each change. That helped a lot.

These typical 10" filter housings--there's many manufacturers and I'm assuming most are fairly similar in design and all take the standard cartridge--claim a 10GPM flow with a 1 PSI drop...WITHOUT a filter in place! They do this because filters are different. I had one on a vacation home (on a well) and it caused quite a bit of flow and pressure reduction. So we removed it. Instead we went with an under sink RO kit for drinking water only.

If I needed or wanted a "whole house" filter, I mean really for the entire house, I'd choose a much larger system. The ones with replaceable filters need them changed frequently particularly if you are filtering the entire home's water supply.

But for cost reasons if you don't want to go with a much larger filter assembly, I'd put two of these in parallel to increase the flow.

Latest posts

Back