Any comments on this receipt?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokintoad

Reaction score
An older lady asked me if this bill for fixing a leaky tub faucet seemed reasonable.
Turned out the faucet was replaced. Anyone know what an "Optimum Tub and Shower Faucet" means?
I thought "Optimum" might be a brand name, but couldn't find it with google.IMG_20231102_172206362_HDR(2).jpg

To me, it sounds like this is their "goodest" faucet available. Kinda like "shittiest", "average", then "optimum"?

Doing it this way, there is no way the consumer could take advantage of future free replacement parts. Shame on the plumber for not identifying exactly what he installed. I'd never use this guy.

Thanks for the replies..... I haven't seen it, but it was described as the basic shower head, control, and spout like the second one pictured.
$100, maybe $200 if it's a bit nicer. @havasu I asked if she had the box it came in, but he took that with him.

The lady was checking faucet prices to see how badly she was taken, but it seemed as if she didn't want to have to deal with the problem.
Any good advice I can give her if she shows up again?

The invoice looks to be flat rate pricing and more work was done other than replacing a faucet.

Even if it’s not reasonable, it’s not criminal. No one is obligated to be the least expensive or provide you with what you think is a fair deal.

I’ve replaced tub/shower valves that the labor was $800 and the valve was a few hundred and then you have hook up piping and fittings.

Looks like that guy cleared an extra $1000, and why plumbers in my area have a bad name. I know there are good ones out there, but it seems the good ones have the mentality, "If they can do it, so should I."

Looks like that guy cleared an extra $1000, and why plumbers in my area have a bad name. I know there are good ones out there, but it seems the good ones have the mentality, "If they can do it, so should I."

I encourage high prices from my competitors. It allows me to sell more services easier at a higher rate.

I want to charge as much as I can without a lot of complaints. If some are not complaining then you’re not charging enough. 😬

Any good advice I can give her if she shows up again?

Ask friends and family for a recommendation for a good plumber.

Get three or more estimates from licensed and insured contractors and pick who you feel most comfortable working with.

I encourage high prices from my competitors. It allows me to sell more services easier at a higher rate.

I want to charge as much as I can without a lot of complaints. If some are not complaining then you’re not charging enough. 😬
The guy who taught me the trade always said if the customer doesn't squirm or flinch a little bit you didn't charge enough

The time I got bit, and hard, and he refused to work with me, I let all my friends know, quit referring him on social media, and he moved away and retired.

I wonder if the lady can ask for the box just so she knows in case she needs replacement parts. He'll probably say he threw it away though. And I bet he'll charge her if she takes him up on any warranty repairs in the next 10 years. Or he'll claim she has to contact mfr without telling her who mfr is.
My guess is he drastically overcharged her for the showerhead and tub spout.

From the Free Enterprise Dictionary Tenth Edition:
OPTIMUM |ˈäptəməm| The make & model with the highest (optimum) margin for the re-seller.

I wonder if the lady can ask for the box just so she knows in case she needs replacement parts.
If she can't find out the make & model from the installing plumber, maybe ask her to post a photo here so members can identify it. Then she can find the warranty information for use on later dates, if needed.

To me, a price should be the price, regardless of monetary status or ass-hattery.

Retiring from law enforcement, I could have charged double for anyone who called me for service.

To me, a price should be the price, regardless of monetary status or ass-hattery.

Retiring from law enforcement, I could have charged double for anyone who called me for service.

Why shouldn’t I charge more for customers who are hard to work for ?

Who gets to make the rules for my business ? Me or my customer ?

Today people think everyone operates like Walmart. Lowest price and satisfaction guaranteed.

Screw that, I’m not Walmart.

Some Cops are hard to deal with. I’ve noticed most cops are only friends with other cops. I don’t think that’s a good thing. Easily becomes a gang mentality like that. Us cops against them( the public) type thing. Everyone’s a criminal mentality.

That thin blue line crap is Nazi talk.

But I like good cops. They’re all not A holes.

I agree. I remember one day I ran into a house with a carbon monoxide leak and had to pronounce two babies (6 months and 2 years old) dead. This was handed off to our detectives and the next call was a verbal argument between the parents and a child. Yeah, I was probably the biggest asshat in the world, but I wasn't allowed to explain why. I guess we can all have bad days.

I remember bringing an electrician to my parents home to add a few exterior lights. When I questioned why his price was double from the other two quotes, he had no problem telling me it was obvious that my folks had money, so why not charge them more money?

Boy, did that frost my ass!

Just last week, I had my tree trimmer come over for a quote to trim 3 large palms in my backyard. You can bet your ass I kept my garage door closed, so they couldn't see the new Lexus RX 350 hybrid sitting in the garage. I understand it is just people trying to make a living, but please, not on my back.

Whenever you SEND an invoice, it always seems a little low for the effort.
Whenever you GET an invoice, it's always too high.
-- People, gotta love 'em.

I just quoted a lady $1200 for a 40 gal gas 6yr Rheem installed.

She going to think about it. She better think quick, that price expires in 1.5 hrs. as I have a full week of work anyway.

She’s lucky I even called her back on a Sunday night but she knows my sister in law so I did.

It’s hilarious how people throw out names thinking it’s going to make the price cheaper. Knowing someone I know isn’t hard to do.,,..I know thousands of people after being in the business for years. Knowing a family member of mine doesn’t help me at the grocery store checkout or the gas pump.

People are stupid……

Latest posts

Back