Any code violations in this design?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've put together my first plumbing design.

This is for the rough-in plumbing that will support radiant floor heating and bath in a new shop building.
WA state, county following 2018 UPC.

I'm hoping to avoid a lot of back and forth when have the inspections completed.
Please point out any deficiencies or flaws in the design. (grid lines are 1' apart)

Attachments

• Pic of Floor plan.jpg
    Pic of Floor plan.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic of Design details.jpg
    Pic of Design details.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic DWV.jpg
    Pic DWV.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0
The horizontal line from the future condensate drain that connects into the toilet drain line is not allowed. Even after that becomes a condensate drain, that flow is not enough to "wash" that horizontal line out, so it is essentially a dry horizontal vent for the toilet and is not allowed. If that was a sink, that would be allowed.

I am more familiar with IPC, which in my interpretation allows Sanitary tees on their backs for vent connections to horizontal drain lines. However, many inspectors, as well as plumbers, do not agree with that interpretation. And I think UPC is more restrictive than IPC, so you may want to change those connections to a combo fitting or a wye with a 45.

Sanitary tee on its back below the future lavatory shouldn’t pass. That’s vertical to horizontal and should be a long sweep fitting.

The floor drain is S trapped.

The condensate drain shouldn’t go into the septic system in most all instances. There’s no code to prohibit a low flow fixture that’s properly vented to be connected to a branch with a water closet.

The way the pump basin is drawn is wrong. It should be buried, the inlet is at the bottom in the illustration, that wouldn’t be a good idea.

I like to see long sweep fittings everywhere. It’s good plumbing. I don’t like sanitary crosses and tees on their backs.

Always check for local amendments and deletions from state codes, it’s pretty common. No one can agree on what’s sufficient so a lot of jurisdictions add and delete to their likes and dislikes.

For example in my area ABS pipe is illegal. So is using galvanize for potable water. I’m also allowed to discipline my wife with a green stick half the width of my thumb.😜

@MicEd69 Thanks, I was wondering about that. I removed it for now. I plan to install a heater\boiler for the radiant floor heat (closed system) and likely a 2nd for the sink/shower. They will be electric and now even sure they'll require a condensate drain yet. I know I can't dump it into the main vent either. So, maybe I put a utility sink there or, have it drain into the floor drain or outside if legal.

I also replaced the tees with combo fittings for the sink and shower drains as that does make more sense.

@Twowaxhack Thanks, I'm not sure why I put that drain in place like that. I updated it with a drain and no S trap.
I'm hoping the inspector\permit tech likes to talk because I plan to pick his brain about the items you mentioned. :) I mostly see PVC for everything here. Schedule 40 under the slab. I have yet to dig up the existing well connection to see what ties into the house, but I see that appears to be 1.25" PVC coming out of the slab in the house.

It's hard to tell from the drawing but, the pump basin inlet is 16 7/8" from the top of the tank. Based on a Liberty tank with inlet 7 7/8" from top with an 8" extension. I plan to add the extension to get the tank low enough in the ground to avoid fittings in the 5" slab. The top of the tank\lid will be flush with the top of the slab. 2" of foam core insulation, vapor barrier, 4" of gravel, and compacted soil beneath the slab.

Thanks guys!

1701584247627.png
1701584351966.png

Don’t install pvc water pipe within the walls of the foundation. That means transition to a different type pipe out in the yard.

Latest posts

Back