Another low/intermittent water pressure thread

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it seemed perfect. The bolt holes are almost an 8th of an inch further apart on the adapter than they are on my red lion. Otherwise it'd be perfect. I may fabricate an adapter adapter. Or after I figured out you can still buy those casing adapters. I've even considered welding the new pump on. Not ideal and want to avoid that. Calling a local pump repair guy to see if there's another adapter of sorts that I can use. Or what he'd charge to make my f&w work again.

The red lion is just a pump I've had sitting around. Would be awesome if I could put it to use!

The big thing is the two holes that water moves through. The large one is suction the smaller one is backpressure. The gasket would have to be able to cover both holes individually without any leakage between the two. The holes in the casing adaptor can be filed with a rat tail file to make the bolts fit. I have done it many times with Sta Rite and Goulds adaptors. They are similar but not identical. Welding won't work. Making an adaptor I suppose could work if your good at fabrication.

Do not try to remove the casing adaptor unless you are extremely adventurous. Remember there is a pipe inside of a pipe. Called concentric piping. The inside one is probably Poly pipe. Getting it off isn't too bad, getting it back on so it can function again is another thing.

Take a look at the two motors. F&W used a C-Flange motor. The only other motor that 90% of pump companies used was the square flange. So if your two motors are either C-flange or Square Flange, you can just change the motors. That is if the horse power going on the old pump is the same or higher horsepower. They all turn 3450 RPM's.

Very helpful response. I realize it'd be foolish to attempt to weld it but I was daydreaming. I landed on the filing option just before I read your post. The red lion gasket should work just fine.

That is very awesome to know about the motors, I wasn't sure if I could just swap motors as I wasn't sure about the shafts or flanges connecting the impeller. Already took the old pump off and have to redo a couple fittings to fit the new pump but it should go smoothly after the filing and wiring

You'll be out fixing pumps all over the place soon. With all the experience you have gathered already. Good luck on the swap out.

I have water! Would've been cooler if oil came spewing out of my faucets, but I'll settle for water haha. Just a few things to sort out in the morning. A couple of leaky connections, and to sort out the pressure and pressure switch. I bought a new switch preset to 30/50 which I believe is probably fine. Just to adjust the tank properly. I had the pressure in tank set at 30 and I know it needs to come down a little. Either way that shouldnt be too bad after fixing the leaks, the hard stuff is out of the way. Very happy i was able to use a pump that i just happened to have sitting around. Also that filter is in bypass mode till I grab a less restrictive cartridge

Just want to thank you again, very grateful that there is someone knowledgeable hanging out on a plumbing forum.

20151122_001636.jpg

Back