Aerator not working - switch trips

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Reaction score
Hello all, I've got a Clearstream cs103et6 aerator on my ~ 2-3 year old septic system. The alarm went off a few days ago and it appears to me to be because of the aerator, which was not running. I took off the top of the aerator and got access to the switch. It was tripped when I took it apart, assuming that the line on the selector is supposed to be aligned with the arrow on the plate. I realigned it and switched the breaker, but the switch on the pump immediately trips after a split-second of the pump trying to run.

What's going on with it? IMG_20220707_202704351.jpgIMG_20220707_202720596.jpgIMG_20220707_202746368.jpg

Assuming I know what I'm looking at:
Picture -68 shows the switch in the run position with the orange piece pushed down
Picture -96 shows the switch in the tripped position with the orange piece not being pushed down by the plastic "arm"
Picture -51 shows the selector side of the "pusher arm" in the tripped position

FWIW, there were a ton of ants getting up onto the tower the aerator is sitting on, but I saw no indication that they got into the pump at all, looking from the outside and inside.

Sounds like a bad pump. Try plugging it into a different outlet to verify the circuit isn’t bad.

Unfortunately, it's hard wired. I probed it with a voltmeter and did get a 120V reading.

Disconnect the electrical and install a cord with a plug in. Then plug into a different circuit.

Sounds like the motors bad to me, maybe not. Check the circuit as I described above.

The pump has rebuild kits available and it does have an auto shut down feature if it blows the diaphragm

OK. I can do that. Thanks for the recommendations. Recall that it does kick off, but just trips immediately, so it's getting power.

I did just try to force some air with a tank with ~80 psi through the pipe the pump was connected to, and couldn't find any bubbles, while there was alot of back-pressure. It sure didn't seem like air was passing. I looked in the 2nd tank initially for bubbles and then in the 1st, but never found anything, even after breaking the crust in the 1st.

I have minimal knowledge about these systems, but wouldn't the air be introduced into the 1st tank? If not, which one? It looks like my air pipe may be plugged. If so, then what? It's 3/4 PVC pipe. Is snaking even an option?

edit: I've seen a couple of videos that show aeration takes place in the 2nd tank, so no breaking of crust needed.

Last edited:
I must have misread. I thought your breaker in the panel box was tripping.

The pump has a protection circuit if the diaphragm fails. It can be rebuilt.

Review your troubleshooting guide in the pumps instruction manual.

You may have a diffuser on the air line. You’ll have to investigate.

I opened the 3rd cover and lo-and-behold, that's where I should have been looking 1st. I thought these systems would be laid out in order, but mine looks to be (1) poo tank, (2) clean water pump tank, & (3) intermediate tank with aeration & sludge. Seems convoluted, but what do I know....

Anyway, I still didn't see any bubbles when forcing air and looking into the 3rd tank. Then I disconnected the union in tank 3 and air was passing with it open. I was able to pull up the pipe with the diffuser and cleaned it. Hooked it back up and forced air through it and it bubbled pretty vigorously, so at least that's done. I'll pull apart the pump now.

Both diaphragms in the pump were torn. I carefully removed the covers, but the gaskets still stuck to them; I can't tell whether they were torn before, but regardless, they are now. It'd be nice if I could buy just those diaphragms w/o the rest of the seals. All of mine are fine.

I'd guess that having an obstructed diffuser could have done in the diaphragms.... If so, I'll need to get a schedule to clean that thing.

I'll revive this one, since I didn't get an answer to the tripping question. I must have resolved it then, but I don't recall how. I'm now back in the same situation with a broken diaphragm that was replaced yesterday. Power it up and the internal switch trips.

Latest posts

Back