Adding a upstairs bathroom / kitchen sink help!!!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerazyguy

Reaction score
First off I’m in the middle of nowhere in a 2 story shop house.

First floor is set up with an apartment with a single bathroom and kitchen sink.

I’m hoping to add a bathroom and kitchen sink upstairs.

Existing plumbing as I can see is below
IMG_0733.jpeg
I am unsure if there is any venting from the fixtures going up and connecting into the main vent as it is all covered up

My hope is to add another bathroom and kitchen sink upstairs and don’t want to cause any issues downstairs
Here is my plan
IMG_0736.jpeg
Will this plan work? And if not how should I change the layout

Obviously I know I need traps and such I just made it simpler not drawing them in

Also code is not a concern as much as functionality I doubt the place has ever been inspected…

Attachments

• IMG_0733.jpeg
    IMG_0733.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0733.jpeg
    IMG_0733.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
If you are in the middle of nowhere, is it on septic and can it handle another bathroom? Just wondering if you should make sure of that first before you spend lots of money on another bathroom.

If you are in the middle of nowhere, is it on septic and can it handle another bathroom? Just wondering if you should make sure of that first before you spend lots of money on another bathroom.
Yes thanks for the input I talked to the guy who installed the system and he said it is oversized and was designed with 3 extra rv dumps as well which are not being used… so we are good there. Just wanting to make sure my plan of attack on the drain lines is correct as I’ve never messed with upstairs plumbing…. Thanks for the reply!

Yes thanks for the input I talked to the guy who installed the system and he said it is oversized and was designed with 3 extra rv dumps as well which are not being used… so we are good there. Just wanting to make sure my plan of attack on the drain lines is correct as I’ve never messed with upstairs plumbing…. Thanks for the reply!
Okay good, I just wanted to make sure you checked that first. It was the only idea I had for my way to help. LOL. I don 't know enough about pluming to answer more than that though. You got this though! Planning is what really helps.

Your first floor drawing has the toilet on a 2" line. Is that accurate? No Bath or shower on first floor?
Upstairs looks like it could work depending on layout.

Your first floor drawing has the toilet on a 2" line. Is that accurate? No Bath or shower on first floor?
Upstairs looks like it could work depending on layout.
Good eye! Yes it is all on a 2” pipe and I know that isn’t correct…. And also yes there is a shower on that same line (forgot to draw that in) I’m not sure how he hasn’t had clogs but it is just my dad and he barely uses any of it so I’m assuming that’s why it has worked for so long….

I guess my main question is
#1 I’m unsure of venting of those first floor drains…. The only vent I can visually see is the one pictured (far right) and to me that is already a problem before i add anything just don’t know if I need to dig into it and make vents on the far left? Maybe add an AAV at the kitchen sink and or bathroom sink?
The order of drains from left is kitchen sink - bathroom sink - toilet - shower…

#2 attaching the upstairs plumbing in that stack at that spot will require me to use one of those fernco fittings I think as there isn’t much room there (unless I get super crafty) is that ok?

Back