ABS Branch Connection Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam1703

Reaction score
Hello,

I plan to move my plumbing around my house to open up the ceiling height and do a bulkhead around the room's perimeter. I'm wondering if I can connect the shower, toilet and vanity drain lines as a branch the plumbing stack or if each fixture needs its own line to the plumbing stack?

I planned to replace the cast iron with PVC while the area was all open and do a continuous stream of ABS pipe around the wall so I could get my ceiling back. Would this follow code, or anything else I need to bare in mind if I'm doing this? If it's not allowed, can you please let me know why?

I've included a rough diagram of what I'm thinking;
The drain from the tub/shower goes into a 1-1/2 ABS pipe. My thinking would be to connect it to a branch that connects to a 3" ABS Pipe (when it reaches the toilet) and eventually connects to the vanity with a 1-1/2 line. Then connecting to the current 4" Cast Iron Plumbing Stack (which I plan to replace with a 4" ABS plumbing stack.

I also had one more question, what's the minimum size for a plumbing stack vent? I believe it's a 3" cast iron vent that's currently installed.

Thanks for your help!
Adam
Is it possible.jpgIs it possible 2.jpg

IMG20220929110201.jpgIMG20220929110207.jpg

It looks like your existing plumbing has some venting issues. It appears that none of the fixtures you want to combine are vented. The vanity might be, but I rather doubt it.

But what you want to do is mostly possible. You will need to be sure to get 1 in 50 slope on all the drain lines, and you will need to provide proper venting for the tub/shower which will also provide a wet vent for the toilet. However, the vanity cannot be connected between the toilet and the stack, so that will need to be run as a separate line to the stack and it will also require a separate vent.

@MicEd69 At the moment, I'm not looking to demo the bathroom upstairs for vents, so I'm thinking if I replumbing it the same way it is currently along the wall, it shouldn't cause any problems, right?

Then down the road, once I'm ready to reno the bathroom upstairs, I can add the vent lines for the vanity and tub/shower

"...if I replumbing it the same way it is currently along the wall, it shouldn't cause any problems, right?"

Maybe but maybe not. If you tie the tub/shower into the new 3" line as the toilet without a vent, every time you flush the toilet, you could pull the water out of the tub/shower trap.

If you run all three lines separately around the edge of the room, the tub/shower drain will be longer than it is now, and it will have to turn 90 degrees. The tub/shower line is pretty long to the stack now, so making it longer could cause problems.

And if I'm reading the Ontario Code correctly, no fixtures can be tied into a line between a toilet and the stack.

So, your piping is not per code now, your future plans are also not per code unless you vent the tub/shower which will also vent the toilet, and you could make matters worse.

Back