70s Croc Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outinthesticks12

Reaction score
In the process of buying a home and have concerns with the septic system.

Septic system:

• Original from 1973
  • Croc style
  • Cast iron going in, PVC from house in
  • Passed a heavy load test
  • Tank was recently pumped dry so had to fill it. Inspector said he could see normal water level and looks like it's never backed up
  • Tanked looked to go about 5 feet down, said that it is a large tank, which probably helped the load test
  • Single chamber
  • Not sure on clay/sand or how much material around croc
  • Rough estimate on cost if it fails down the road?
  • 4 bedroom 2.5 bath tri-level
  • Is there concerns of soil quality if there’s planter boxes 50-100 yards away?
  • Should we be concerned buying a house with this type of system?

Ya, that’s what the inspection was for. He stated that he put a pretty heavy load test on it. As it stands now, it’s good, just trying to get a feel on everyone’s thoughts of these systems.

No one on a website can tell you more than the inspector did. It would be like you telling me your age and that you passed a physical then me giving you an opinion of your health after you just left the Doctors office. It just doesn’t make sense.

No one on a website can tell you more than the inspector did. It would be like you telling me your age and that you passed a physical then me giving you an opinion of your health after you just left the Doctors office. It just doesn’t make sense.
Appreciate all the feedback. I’m not trying to diagnose our septic. Figured someone on here would share thoughts on an older croc system. A generic opinion on that style of system. Why they do or do not like them, potential issues, what we might expect, generically.

Appreciate all the feedback. I’m not trying to diagnose our septic. Figured someone on here would share thoughts on an older croc system. A generic opinion on that style of system. Why they do or do not like them, potential issues, what we might expect, generically.
You may pass a physical, but even a doctor could give a generalized opinion on your body and health for potential underlying issues even if you pass a physical. Genetically you may be prone to something so maybe the doctor gives a general opinion on what to look for, what to do, possible outcomes.

it’s a 50 yr old septic system. It can fail at anytime.

If anyone tells you different then they haven’t been in the septic or plumbing business very long.

That’s why you’re most likely not going to get a warranty or guarantee from anyone.

Good luck 👍

Latest posts

Back