2 washing machines into one 2” drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thediyrealtor

Reaction score
Hello! I have a duplex that I would like to install a 2nd washer so each tenant has their own machines. Would I be able to get away with using the 2” stand pipe to drain both washing machines?! I could increase the 2” standpipe to 3” then just put a Y that each hose went in. Everything from the trap beyond would be 2” draining into a 4” stack.

Another option would be to install a laundry sink that connects to the current stand pipe and have the 2nd washer drain into the sink…

Help please!

I would not drain both into the same stand pipe, I have seen it done, I would I would change the single ty out to a double ty and 2 p traps and 2 stand pipes the sink is also a good option

Hello! I have a duplex that I would like to install a 2nd washer so each tenant has their own machines. Would I be able to get away with using the 2” stand pipe to drain both washing machines?! I could increase the 2” standpipe to 3” then just put a Y that each hose went in. Everything from the trap beyond would be 2” draining into a 4” stack.

Another option would be to install a laundry sink that connects to the current stand pipe and have the 2nd washer drain into the sink…

Help please!
It is possible to use a 2” stand pipe to drain two washing machines, but it is not recommended. The 2” stand pipe is not large enough to handle the amount of water that both washing machines will create. Additionally, the stand pipe can become clogged due to lint build-up, which can cause flooding.

If you decide to go this route, make sure to use a 3” stand pipe and Y-fitting to ensure proper drainage. Additionally, you should have a licensed plumber install the standpipe and Y-fitting, as it is important to make sure the installation is done correctly.

Latest posts

Back