18" or 24" diameter risers?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKielbasa

Reaction score
Hi, i have an old septic vault approx. 6ft underground. It has 2 concrete lids that measure approx. 58" wide and 60" long. I fixed a
broken pipe from roots entering. Now i want to put risers on the lids. I know i can do this but not sure what diameter size to use, 18" or 24"?
Why would one be used over the other?

24 inch is what you want, Sewer lids AKA rings are made to sit on 24 inch concrete pipe. The cast iron ring is about 500$

why 24" opposed to 18"? cast iron ring? I see they make plastic adapter rings for the corrugated pipe. What are you referring to?
I may have misunderstood, but if you are referring to a concrete septic tank, or "interceptor" typically risers are 24 inch concrete pipe topped with a manhole cover made of cast iron. The covers are 24" not 18"...........the ring and cover is a manhole cover like what you see in the middle of the street.

If your tank is corrugated or you are using corrugated pipe as a riser, then fine , no problem. The riser is really only for observation and service, be sure no to drive over them or near them with a heay wehicle

Back