1/2" sharkbite coupling = 1/2" copper pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, when I bought the 1/2" sharkbite coupling, I assumed (you know what happens when you do that) it meant for 1/2" pipe.
Nope, it's 1/2" itself. Next size up is 3/4"?? That won't happen.
Help? Thank you!

EDIT: A friend and I cut a piece of copper pipe where there was a pinhole. The hole was too close to an existing connector (previous repair) to use a sharkbite, so we cut the whole piece with connector. Tried a slip coupling which wouldn't go on as far as it was supposed to to be able to get the pipe in the other end. Of course, it won't come off now (removal clip not working...maybe I'm not pulling hard enough...).

SO, we decided to try 2 connectors with a new piece in between. I bought what is pictured in a reply below and now this issue stated in the initial post above.

Last edited:
It says on the package what it fits. Post a pic of the package.

That fits 1/2” I. D. copper pipe which has an outside diameter of 5/8”.

Unless the pipe has frozen in the past and expanded it’s outside diameter.

That fits 1/2” I. D. copper pipe which has an outside diameter of 5/8”.

Unless the pipe has frozen in the past and expanded it’s outside diameter.
So how do I find a piece that will fit it right? There aren't any 5/8" sharkbite products. All the videos talk about 1/2" pipe like it's no big deal.
I see that the photo with the ruler is probably actually 5/8". We also measured after cutting and got 1/2".
Suggestions?

Attachments

• PipeCut.jpg
    PipeCut.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PipeMeasuring.jpg
    PipeMeasuring.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 0
The package you showed was a SharkBite 1/2" x 1/2" straight coupling. It fits over the 5/8" outside diameter of a 1/2" copper pipe. SharkBite fitting are labeled with the size pipe they fit, not the actual outside diameter of the fitting inside diameter.

A 1/4" copper pipe has an outside diameter of 3/8". You would purchase a 1/4" x 1/4" SharkBite coupling for it.

The package you showed was a SharkBite 1/2" x 1/2" straight coupling. It fits over the 5/8" outside diameter of a 1/2" copper pipe. SharkBite fitting are labeled with the size pipe they fit, not the actual outside diameter of the fitting inside diameter.

A 1/4" copper pipe has an outside diameter of 3/8". You would purchase a 1/4" x 1/4" SharkBite coupling for it.
That's what I thought when I bought it! But when I hold the coupling up to the pipe, they're the same size. There's no way the pipe is going inside that coupling.

Your photo shows it isn't 3/4" copper tubing size. That would be 7/8" O.D. Your snap shot looks like it's 1/2" tubing size.

Is there a burr on the edge of the tubing left by a not-sharp tubing cutter. Outside diameter burrs are not common, but happen. That would preclude successful installation of the Sharkbite.

Out-of-Round Test:
Try putting your tubing cutter on & tighten so that the cutting and roller wheels are barely snug on the tubing. Rotate it. If it willy-wonks around the tubing like driving a car on a flat tire, your tubing is out-of-round. I'd suspect a previous freeze, just as Twowaxhack mentioned. Another possibility is there is solder drip on the tube where you can't see. Also possible is that the tubing cutter was tightened too much and ovaled-out the tubing.

Plan A:
Do you have space to cut back farther and sweat in copper (not shark bite) slip couplings? After reaming and cleaning, slide one on each of the remaining tubing & push them back to clear the end so you can fit your repair piece in. Sand & flux, then push the coupling so that half is on the old tubing & half is on the repair tubing. Now solder as usual.

If you can't find copper slip couplings locally, buy copper couplings with the dimples inside instead of a stop-rim. Take a rat tail file and file off the dimples. Five minute slip coupling!
If there is one locally, refrigeration parts suppliers have slip couplings. But, you have to ask for 5/8", not 1/2. The industry uses the O.D. for copper tubing.

Plan B:
Perhaps check if a brass compression coupling will fit. They cost more than push-connect, like Sharkbite brand, but theymight be more user-friendly.

I wish for your project to go smoothly from here out & you have time left to enjoy today!
Paul

PS: In the future, if the rest of the tubing is solid and you only have a local pin-hole silver bearing phos-copper brazing rod works well to close the hole. Harris has some low silver in the Dynaflow line that are not expensive & don't need flux. Bridgit solder may also work.

Last edited:
As you have cut out a piece of the line, show us a picture of the end of it and the SharkBite side-by-side. And also, a picture with them lined up like you were going to put the SharkBite onto that removed piece. Don't push it into the fitting or the Shark will Bite it. LOL.

So how do I find a piece that will fit it right? There aren't any 5/8" sharkbite products. All the videos talk about 1/2" pipe like it's no big deal.
I see that the photo with the ruler is probably actually 5/8". We also measured after cutting and got 1/2".
Suggestions?
Can you hold your tape measure up to the cut pipe so we can see your ID and OD

Latest posts

Back