tub faucet trickles, identify parts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionymous

Reaction score
I'm repairing a deceased relative's house. The tub faucet only trickles water.
The water in the rest of the house works fine. There are no shut-off valves from the basement to the tub, so it should have full water coming to it.
I assumed there was some kind of blockage so I started taking things apart.
I've done faucet work and copper plumbing before, but nothing with bathtubs.

I took the tub faucet off. See pics. I see in the plumbing behind the faucet there are what look like flat-head screw valves on the left and right. I could turn the left one a bit but the right one was stuck.
I managed to remove the nuts on each of those valves. Am I supposed to be able to pull those stems straight out now?
Also, that bigger slotted thing on the right... what's that?
Obviously I'm not sure what I'm doing, other than taking stuff apart to look for problems. I'd like to replace parts and make it work like new, but with no frills parts.
Any suggestions on what to take apart, how to fix the lack of water, and what replacement parts to buy?
IMG_8007small.jpg
IMG_8011small.jpg

RP574
RP6185
6046KIT

Use these part numbers if the link does not work.

Balancing valve could be bad or the stops are stuck.

I took the stops and balancer out, took them apart, cleaned with CLR, and squirted some into the actual plumbing. The next day I reassembled and out flushed a bunch of blue-green foamy grossness.
Now it works!
Thanks

Latest posts

Back