Building drain connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumb_bob_square_pants

Reaction score
Ok... working on a brothers house that he has gutted. Laying out my lines I went under the house to look at the septic connection and I came across a type of pipe that I haven't worked with before. Looked online and haven't been able to find out much of what it could be other than maybe orange pipe and I can't remember the other. Anyway.... the house had the plumbing installed in the 70's and we are redoing the inside with new bathrooms and everything. I have a guess of how I am going to connect to this pipe but I'm sure it's not code. Would really appreciate some wisdom on this one.

View attachment 1462986014132.jpg

View attachment 1462986032588.jpg

It's not metal. Like asphalt wrapped in fiber glass. Is it hot with asbestos? Owner does not want to replace it back to the septic. I was thinking fernco with a bead of caulk on the pipe before I put it on? It's not smooth so I'm mildly concerned about it leaking.

This is something I am not familiar with. I'm going to have to ask my fergusons guy tomorrow and see if he has it. Does it work like a fernco?

Sounds like blackjack... does it stay elastic? I tried to convince him to replace it... no luck. "If it works we should leave it". So just have to work with it.

That stuff is probably the best but permatex 2c is a gasket maker that is used on automotive stuff. My waterworks distributer carries large tubes of it for stuff like this

Latest posts

Back