Moen Shower Cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jitter77

Reaction score
My neighbors tub was leaking out the faucet. He has the one handle that adjusts hot and cold with the shower pull up on the faucet. I assumed the shower cartridge had a bad gasket. I had no info on the set up other than the instruction sheet which listed about 10 different model numbers. I even took the thing mostly apart to get a model or part #. I did see part numbers for individual parts, but not for the whole unit. Anyways I called Moen he agreed with me that it was the cartridge I gave him the instruction sheet number and described the colors of the shower. He said I needed cartridge 1222B. First of all getting the old one out was an absolute nightmare. His access panel is in the closet behind the shelves so I had to unscrew all the shelves. There is a retaining ring you have to remove and there is a plastic ring / spacer between the valve and the backsplash. I could not pull the retaining ring up because that plastic spacer was in the way. It was like wings on it so I had to almost break it or the pipes to turn it enough so I could slide it forward or backward to give me just enough clearance to remove the retaining ring. After that you are supposed to pull the old cartridge out. They give you this plastic removal tool which you slip over the old one and turn to "break it loose" so you can "easily" pull it straight out. Well that thing was useless and I was not going to spend $$ for a moen cartridge puller. I sprayed it with all kinds of penetrating stuff (like WD 40). I could get it to move about 1/4" every half hour. I could twist it half way back and forth but that damn thing would not pull out.

I finally got it out cleaned out the hole etc etc...put the new cartridge in everything goes in smoothly everything goes back together nice then I turn the water on. Water comes running out of the faucet and I was like WTF it is supposed to be OFF. I turn the handle which now moves in both directions and to shut the water off the handle was now pointing up. I assumed I had the cartridge in upside down even though I oriented it the same was as the old one (it can only go two ways). I rip everything apart again and put it back together. This time the water shuts off but now the hot and cold are backwards. Do you think they sent me the wrong cartridge? I do not see how I could have possibly messed anything up. The cartridge can only go one of 2 ways and everything else is grooved so it can only go one way. The directions say if Hot Cold are backwards to rotate the cartridge, but that was how I had it originally. Anyone have any suggestions. I am clueless on this one.

Thanks

More than likely the wrong cartridge. Cartridges are simple, plug and play type of deal. As long as the hot and cold are on the correct sides and all hardware is fastened as needed then their should be no issuses. Make sure the cartridge is lubed and filled inserted into the slot. Match it at your local plumbing supply store of needed.

Latest posts

Back