Old Trip Drain Lever - Button Stuck

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethoma12002

Reaction score
I just bought a house from 1955. I have scoured the internet for a solution to my problem, to no avail.

Here is the problem: The lever thing on the faceplate doesn't move up or down. I unscrewed the faceplate and pulled out the rod. The rod and spring is all attached and seems to work properly. The stopper itself has a rod thing attached to it and was just sitting in the drain thing. I tried just plugging it back up and it stops the water, however I had to use a knife to pry it back up when I was finished bathing. I'm assuming the way it is supposed to work (based on my research) is that the lever button makes the rod move up and down, and pushes the rod connected to the stopper up or down, to close or open.

So, I think maybe the lever thing (I'm calling it the button) is just corroded and stuck. There is a little screw that goes into the middle of the thing that connects it, I'm assuming, to the part that holds the rod. I did take this out and it won't budge. I have it sitting in coca cola and its been there since yesterday. I haven't checked on it today.

I'd like to fix it instead of buying another because I like fixing things, but I don't want to break it. Was it concreted shut for some reason? I mean the stopper, which is silver and has a copper-colored arm that has hinges on it to go through the curvy pipe, was just sitting in the drain. How did the sellers use it, do you think? Or did they just stick it back in there when they were ready to sell the house?

Replacement trip lever overflow plate is available at any store that sells plumbing parts. Buy one and replace.

I don't buy stuff that can be fixed! I soaked it in cola for a couple days to loosen up all of the rust and grout. Then I sprayed WD40 on it and beat it with a hammer until the flipper thing moved. Then I screwed the plate back into the tub and it works like new.

ARRRRGH!!! LOL ARRRRGH! Thats they way i roll!!!

If I cant fix it, I will F____ it up so bad it will NEVER be fixed !!!!

My Moto
If its broke i can fix it
If its fixed ii can broke it.

just a tip,,,lithium grease that thing, or it will seize up one time again
wd 40 is water based get some gun oil,remington you outa have some in your gun case

Last edited:
I don't buy stuff that can be fixed! I soaked it in cola for a couple days to loosen up all of the rust and grout. Then I sprayed WD40 on it and beat it with a hammer until the flipper thing moved. Then I screwed the plate back into the tub and it works like new.

That's the way to do it! Beat up an old worn out corroded part to make it work for a short while. Why spend $5 on a new part when you can "fix" something and continue to have something to complain about for years to come. To each his own.

Latest posts

Back