Is this toilet of mine a Dual Flush?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregavi

Reaction score
Hi, We remodeled our bathroom a couple years ago and part the remodel was moving the toilet and all the waste and supply to the other side of the room. The waste is all new 4" ABS with 1.5" vent in wall directly behind the toilet. We used a Kohler 1 piece 1.28 gal toilet that when I flush it in order to get a complete flush, I have to hold the lever down for a few seconds or else it will only do sort of a half flush. (The flapper closes before the tank can empty). On top of the bowl rim where is says Kohler, in small print under Kohler it states 1.28 gal per flush or less. Does that mean it is designed to be a dual flush like some Toto toilets I've seen that have a #1 and a #2 flush? Toto accomplishes this with 2 separate buttons in the ones I've seen. Is this Kohlers attempt at this by having to hold the lever down longer for a #2 flush? I spoke with a woman at Kohler and she had me check the float mechanism and all seemed to be OK so she said the only other possibility is that the toilet was not vented properly. I find that hard to believe since there is a 1.5" vent directly behind it. She didn't mention anything about a dual flush feature.
Any advice is appreciated.

My Kohler is similar. For a quick flush, just push down on the handle. For a heavier flush, you hold the handle down for a few moments. It works pretty slick when you know how to use it properly, but the problem occurs with guests. They don't understand this dual flush set up, and I'm certainly not going to ask for their needs to instruct them on the proper toilet usage. All and all, that is my only problem with this toilet.

My Kohler is similar. For a quick flush, just push down on the handle. For a heavier flush, you hold the handle down for a few moments. It works pretty slick when you know how to use it properly, but the problem occurs with guests. They don't understand this dual flush set up, and I'm certainly not going to ask for their needs to instruct them on the proper toilet usage. All and all, that is my only problem with this toilet.

If that's the way it's supposed to work, I don't like it for the same reasons you mentioned. People who don't know how to use it would have a problem, especially a #2 flush. Also, if that's the way it's supposed to work, why didn't the woman I spoke with at Kohler tell me that? I may call them again and ask a different person. I have asked the same question with other companies and gotten two completely different answers.

*UPDATE* I checked the model (Santa Rosa) on the Kohler website and it is listed as a "Single Flush". So it is not intended to have a big flush and little flush.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back