Moen Faucet leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacs97

Reaction score
My kitchen sink has the single handle faucet. It takes a Moen 1225 cartridge. I had a small leak so I replaced the cartridge.

This isnt the first time I have replaced it so I have all of the correct tools to pull the cartridge.

Prior replacements have fixed this issue. Not this time. After this replacement instead of the faucet dripping I now have a constant flow! I have taken the cartridge out, I have tried getting a new one. I put 3 different cartridges in all brand new. It has the same constant flow. What is going on? Do I need a new faucet or am I just doing something wrong?

I have used a brush to brush out the faucet head to make sure it is free of debris. Does anyone have anything else to add to it? I have made sure that the c clip is back in, it is properly aligned and I have even tried not installing the handle just to make sure that the cartridge was all the way closed and not the handle keeping it from closing all the way.

Please help, I dont want to get a plumber only to be told it is a simple fix! If it is a new faucet then so be it but I have a hard time thinking this.

was the original core a Brass core 1200 or the same as the plastic 1225 core.

I ran into this only once in a tub/shwr valve. There was a defective casting in the valve. The 1200 worked okay because of the way they sealed.
The moving piston of the 1200 seals inside the stem. The 1225 plastic seal against the inside of the rectangular seal, the same seal that seals the outer core to the water inlets.

Try a 1200 core, If the faucet itself is in good condition. Otherwise just replace the faucet

1200 moen.jpg

The most common problem I run in to which causes your problem is portions of the old rubber seals had broken off and remain in the casting. This prevents the new rubber from sealing. I carry a medical forceps to dig these pieces out. A long nose pliers with a bent tip, such as a fishing pliers, works too.

Update

Not sure what is wrong so here goes. I was using the Moen brand 1225 cartridge. My faucet would leak like a siev. I installed an aftermarket 1225 cartridge. Leak gone from the faucet. Now it would leak at the handle.

No Moen brand brass 1200 at the hardware store. Off brand brass cartridge fixed my problem.

I appreciate the help! I didn't know that you could go to a completely different cartridge!! Leak is stopped and faucet works!!

Why would the faucet all of a sudden not work with the plastic cartridge? The very first time I replaced it. I pulled a plastic one out and installed the same style. 3 cartridge replacements later and now it won't work with the plastic one?

Oh well. Thanks for the help! Problem solved!!

I just did one this morning. Pulled a brass 1200. Installed a 1225. water sprayed out from around stem o-ring when I pulled to open valve. Tried a 2nd 1225. same thing. Had to use a 1200. the top o-ring on the 1200 is further in on the cartridge than on the 1225. 1225 o-ring is closer to the retainer clip. That o-ring on the 1225 would not seal right.

1225moen.png

1200 moen.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back