Cleaning tub drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy

Reaction score
Hello, all. I have a question. I don't know how to clean the drain in my tub. I had a new drain put in. Few months Go. It's the kind that you lift and twist to drain the tub and twist and drop to fill the tub. I suspect there is hair and other gunk that needs to be cleaned out of there as it doesn't drain as fast as it used to. How do I clean it when it appears I can't remove that plug lady?

I use the ZipIt for simple hair clogs as well.

However, that drain will come out if you leave it in the down position and turn it counterclockwise. A rag around the knob to prevent damage to the finish and grab it with a pair of pliers.

I use the ZipIt for simple hair clogs as well.

However, that drain will come out if you leave it in the down position and turn it counterclockwise. A rag around the knob to prevent damage to the finish and grab it with a pair of pliers.

Does that unscrew the whole drain from the actual bath tub or just remove the open/close part from the rest of the drain?

And for heavens sake Havsu, what forum can I join where I WON'T see you a member?

I'm buying me a zip-it today. Thanks, everyone.

You guys are awesome. I finally got to the home repair store and bought me a Zip It. It cost me all of $2.48 and it pulled all kinds of hair out of my bathtub drain. Thank you, everyone.

It's amazing how much crud you can get out of the drains with those little Zip-its. Glad it worked for you Windy.

Thanks for the help. I knew you guys would have the answer.

Now, Balota is going to put new flooring in my kitchen this weekend. I think I'm off to another Groupbuilder forum to get advice on that project.

I suppose I'll see you there, too, Havasu.

Also, Balota should hang out with us cool kids on the garage forum!

http://www.garageretreat.com/

His garage is basically a storage space for stuff. :(

I almost joined the garage forum a couple summers ago. I was unemployed for a few months and cleaned out my garage, installed shelves all by myself and organized the whole place. I thought I'd go there for advice but I was able to do it myself. I did have my son's friend who runs a home remodeling business come and evaluate and give me advice as to what kind of plywood to use for the shelving and what kind of shelving brackets at what spacing I would need. He also bought and cut the lumber since I didn't have a vehicle big enough to haul the plywood and I'm sure I'd take off a leg with a power saw.

Somewhere on FTF is posted before and after pictures. I'm STILL so proud of myself. :D

Ooh, that reminds me that I need to get a Zip-It. My brother doesn't like to use the hair catcher and the drain is just filled with his hair (I always use the hair catcher and my hair isn't as nice as his). Somehow he once got chunks of plastic in the tub. I have no idea what they were from, but he had just used the shower and it hadn't drained.

Windy, I'd love to see you over at the garageretreat forum too. I've been stalking Havasu all over as well. :p

I'd also love to see your pictures.

Ooh, that reminds me that I need to get a Zip-It. My brother doesn't like to use the hair catcher and the drain is just filled with his hair (I always use the hair catcher and my hair isn't as nice as his). Somehow he once got chunks of plastic in the tub. I have no idea what they were from, but he had just used the shower and it hadn't drained.

Windy, I'd love to see you over at the garageretreat forum too. I've been stalking Havasu all over as well. :p

I'd also love to see your pictures.

Well, my garage is just a garage. It's just that I put up shelves and organized it. It certainly isn't anything awesome. Certainly no woman cave. Though I do sometimes sit out there with my lap top on nice days.

I was recently thinking the same thing. That guy is probably living in some mansion right now.

Or he could be in the poorhouse having to battle for his patent rights with corporate lawyers on his ass.

Latest posts

Back