shower diverter fails

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itleaks

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a new member and a generally unsuccessful DIY guy. Most of my plumbing projects require multiple attempts, and this one is no exception.

I've got a shower diverter that won't divert. I don't know the brand. It may be original with the house (1964). I was getting about 50% of the water to divert, so I replaced the o-rings on the stem. That made things worse. I tried a different hardware store, and this time I added silicone grease to the new o-rings. Not any better. I did not replace the o-ring on the chrome piece, but I did try silicone grease on it.

I can't see into the hole well, but I don't think there is a replaceable seat in there.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Frank

securedownload-5.jpg

With out knowing the faucet make and not being there it's hard to advise you as to what is needed. The handles look like fit all's. I don't think that is the entire stem. There may be more of it in the valve body.

John

Thanks! The reason I posted the picture was exactly that - so all of you with expertise could clue me in to what is missing! If I can't see anything inside, and I can't get anything else to come out, then what do I do? Am I going to have to replace the whole valve body?What if I take the parts to a larger plumbing supply store and see if they can identify the brand or match them?

-Frank

I think that is a michigan brass diverter (10a-1d) ,if so Lowe's / Home Depot should have it.

I think that is a michigan brass diverter (10a-1d) ,if so Lowe's / Home Depot should have it.

Good call, that sure looks like it. I have never repaired one. But from the picture I saw on line I see how it should work. He said he replaced the O rings and it didn't help. And it should have. I think he has a handle problem. Looks like he has a fit-all handle on that stem. In order for it to work there has to be some type of stop so it doesn't rotate 360 degrees. I'm sure that fit-all doesn't have one. I may be wrong but I think with the correct handle it would solve his problem.

John

I googled the part number and you are absolutely correct. It matches the 10a-1d perfectly. It seems to be sold under several names, but you're correct that Lowe's etc. has it.

I don't see how the handle can be the problem. Currently it spins 360 degrees (no stops, right?) but in no position does it send more than about 10% of the water to the shower head. A stop might help get it into proper position but I should be able to do that by trial and error. When I turn it the water flow from the tub faucet increases and decreases somewhat, and the trickle from the shower head does so too. But it never gives more than a trickle. It think the problem has to be that water is getting past the o-rings, or that there is some other component that is worn out or replaceable. Perhaps Lowes has the whole assembly and I can inspect one in the store to figure it out.

I think it is possible that my local True-Ace guys sold me o-rings that don't fit properly (they did the best they could!). If I go check out a brand new one at Lowes, maybe I can see how the o-rings are supposed to look, and try to find ones that fit better. Does anyone know what size I should purchase?

Thanks for all your help!

-Frank

Well, I think I made some progress...

I don't see any evidence that the valve body had a removable seat or any other internal stuff for me to repair...

DSC_4679.JPG

I removed the shower head and blew the pipes out with my air compressor. Nothing of substance came out. I disassembled the shower head and inspected carefully. No blockages.

I reassembled the diverter, using a bit more silicone grease. I also put grease on the flat end. I have no idea why I did that.

When I inspected photos of the the bore (I'm too blind to see it with just my glasses and a flashlight, but the camera can see.), I found this notch:

DSC_4687.jpg

That made me think there should be a stop protruding from the shaft. Could it be that this pin is supposed to extend out and serve as a stop? (Are the ends of the pin sheared off?)

DSC_4695.JPG

When I put it back together and ran it without the shower head, I got a pretty good flow (Yipee!) on top. But when I put the shower head on here's what I get:

DSC_4700.JPG

Unfortunately, down below I still have:

DSC_4699.jpg

So it is sort of fixed, but really, It Leaks.

I"m not happy, but I'm quitting until I get better ideas or until it goes back to being less than 50% flow to the shower head...

The pin should protrude off the diverter stem , it should be the stop for the diverter -- When installing diverter, the pin goes in the slot inside the valve. Buy a new stem, install it properly and you should be fine. You can try pulling the pin back out.

Latest posts

Back