Non toxic PVC cement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRrenovator

Reaction score
Good morning,

Anyone have any experience good or bad that they can offer regarding Gorilla PVC cement? I checked reviews on Amazon, and they're excellent. I want a cement that is non toxic and no or low odor.

Does anyone have the manufacturers phone number?

Thank you,

I'm using Gorilla Purple PrimaGlue. I found it on Amazon. It's a primer and cement in one.

:eek:

...uh-oh... :(

Out here you can't use PVC glue that has primer already in it. Loudon county for one would make you cut it out and redo it. As far as Harry Homeowner, for things not getting inspected. No one will know.

Out here you can't use PVC glue that has primer already in it. Loudon county for one would make you cut it out and redo it. As far as Harry Homeowner, for things not getting inspected. No one will know.

Hey THANX!

Can you tell me the reasoning (I want to do things correctly)?

When I bought my first filtering system, it came with SCH 80 PVC, which I plumbed the system with (WV) and bought the glue over the internet as it seemed easier than using primer and glue separately.

BTW- I moved here from Rockville and yes, codes are strict down that way.

Hey THANX!

Can you tell me the reasoning (I want to do things correctly)?

When I bought my first filtering system, it came with SCH 80 PVC, which I plumbed the system with (WV) and bought the glue over the internet as it seemed easier than using primer and glue separately.

BTW- I moved here from Rockville and yes, codes are strict down that way.

I have no idea why. They offer no explanation and they will be the first to tell you that don't have to get you one. Loudon is the worst.

Down here in Texas we have the same code pertaining to the glue primer can not be one. My understanding based on " that guy heard from a guy that said he use to be an inspector" lol. Is that an issue came up with guys not using primer where necessary and blaming this type of stuff to try and get out of fixing there stuff, so they banned it and clear primer, has to be purple and the inspector want will want to see it.

look on the can, if it does not have those testing agency stamps, [UPC]

it can not be used

check with your inspector, it may have the correct stamps but not be allowed by local

ordnance

most, inspectors, want the purple primer used so they can see that primer was used

back in the 70's and early 80's we never used primer,

Glue can not be purple in color
Primer shall be purple in color

iapmo.jpg

Last edited:
Down here in Texas we have the same code pertaining to the glue primer can not be one. My understanding based on " that guy heard from a guy that said he use to be an inspector" lol. Is that an issue came up with guys not using primer where necessary and blaming this type of stuff to try and get out of fixing there stuff, so they banned it and clear primer, has to be purple and the inspector want will want to see it.

The GORILLA is dyed blue...

2.1.3 solvent Cement.
Solvent cement label mark-
ings shall be in accordance with ASTM D2564.
Solvent cements shall not be purple in color.
2.1.4 Primers.
Primer container markings shall be
in accordance with F 656.
Primer shall be purple.

2.1.3 solvent Cement.
Solvent cement label mark-
ings shall be in accordance with ASTM D2564.
Solvent cements shall not be purple in color.
2.1.4 Primers.
Primer container markings shall be
in accordance with F 656.
Primer shall be purple.

I am not arguing, but this is what they say-

Product Description

Glue & Primer in One Can!
Virtually odorless • Low VOC
Non flammable • Eco-friendly
Water cleanup
Meets ASTM D2564, F656 and NSF 61

It is available in both CLEAR and BLUE.

I wonder how many Brownie Points I am going to lose on this one... :(

Dude, if it is clear and has the astm upc endorcements on it..the inspector will be happy, .you are good to go

iapmo (1).jpg

I myself, would do what the manufacture of the pipe recommends, but i am funny like that.

and for sch 80 grey, they recommend clear, medium body..but like i said, use what you want, idc

Dude, if it is clear and has the astm upc endorcements on it..the inspector will be happy, .you are good to go

View attachment 14159

I myself, would do what the manufacture of the pipe recommends, but i am funny like that.

and for sch 80 grey, they recommend clear, medium body..but like i said, use what you want, idc

... Dude ... :confused:

At the time as I was ciphering/learning, I thought it was stated that the inspector wanted to see the primer color.

And while I have you here, why do these filter companies include SCH 80 PVC pipe and fittings in the install kit if PVC is not to code within interior plumbing... :confused:

The reason they want the purple primer out here is so they know you used primer.

The reason they want the purple primer out here is so they know you used primer.

same here...and do not want you ''cutting'' the glue by adding primer

we used to duct tape our glue/primer qt cans together, made it easier to carry
and harder to knock over

inspectors did not like that one damn bit,

said it was to easy to put the glue dawbber in the primer and visa/versa

same here...and do not want you ''cutting'' the glue by adding primer

we used to duct tape our glue/primer qt cans together, made it easier to carry
and harder to knock over

inspectors did not like that one damn bit,

said it was to easy to put the glue dawbber in the primer and visa/versa

That's what I would do too.

Latest posts