Home Well Sediment

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappy4me

Reaction score
We have a whole house filter from the well that uses AP810 filters but the sludge is so thick and the sediment so grainy that we have to change the filters once a month, and even that isn't often enough.

One well man told me I needed to pull the well pump UP out of the ground X#/feet, quoted me some stupid price, to which I said no thanks. I think we need a Sediment Removal Water Filter as a PRE-filter to the Culligan Aqua Pure filtering system. Honeywell makes one.

1. Has anyone used such a pre-filter?
2. Are there any reasons why I have such sludge in the filter?

here's a link to the Honeywell product.
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Braukmann-F76S1049-1-1-2-Sediment-Removal-Water-Filter-Plastic-5922000-p?gclid=CI28_eee7sMCFUQ6gQodb58ASg

Yes, Culligan has done a water analysis but it's not a water problem so much as it is the well and well casing, where the pump sits in the well and how much rock there is where we live.

If the sludge is some kind of iron bacteria, you might consider a Sulfur Eliminator. It aerates water in the well and cleans up that stuff before it gets into the pump.

I don't have any use for inline filters like the one you gave the link to. It would help us if you can show us what your slime looks like. Also, what was your water analysis?

The filters are caked with a gray wet clay like material. Photo is after filter has been removed from housing so material has dispersed.
sludge1.jpg

The best solution would be a backwashing filter. It could be a simple sand filter or a water softener. It would trap the gunk and the gunk would be backwashed out. And your water could be softened too. In line filters are nothing but a pain in the neck.

If the sludge is some kind of iron bacteria, you might consider a Sulfur Eliminator. It aerates water in the well and cleans up that stuff before it gets into the pump.

Valveman-

Do you have much experience with the SULFUR ELIMINATOR?

There is also a model that claims to rid the iron before the pump. How can that be done with just a simple cartridge filter? I understand the ridding of the sulfur smell.

The filters are caked with a gray wet clay like material. Photo is after filter has been removed from housing so material has dispersed.

sludge1.jpg

I have a manganese problem on my system and have a sediment pre-filter. The trapped manganese appears to be black (poly-spun filter) inside of the clear reservoir but once the filter is exchanged and as the material dries, it turns to a grayish color. The actual sediment collected at the bottom of the reservoir is blackish and smears easily when touched.

I change mine monthly and there have been occasions when it required more frequent servicing.

I also have iron bacteria. I am considering an H2O2 injection system followed by a backwash carbon filter.

The actual unit we are discussing is a sediment separator and not a filter. It merely removes any suspended solids before hitting the filter system.

I have only talked to several people who have used one, and they seemed impressed with how it works. But I don't know what it would do with Manganese.

Latest posts

Back