Water well drilling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PICT0138.jpg

PICT0141.jpg

Finished. Two days, two wells, two hook-ups. One well 120 foot with screen. Second well 360 foot, bedrock.

Last edited:
What I would like to know is where they decide to dig the well. Do they still use divining rods?

What I would like to know is where they decide to dig the well. Do they still use divining rods?
It is mostly determined by isolation distances from septic tanks dry wells, things like that.

I do not believe in witching. If a "witcher" is on the job site, I leave.

How does the drill machine work? Is it actually a drill or is it more like jetting?

How do you keep the switch from freezing in the cold weather?

I have never seen that done before, and I'm curious.

How does the drill machine work? Is it actually a drill or is it more like jetting?
Drill. We are mud rotary. Water goes down in the drill rods and the cuttings come out in the form of mud. On the 360 foot well about 3000 gallons. The rig in the picture is my first rig and still my favorite.

We use transfer pumps to keep a lot of the mess under control.

How do you keep the switch from freezing in the cold weather?

I have never seen that done before, and I'm curious.
I do not drill in the cold but, the switches will not freeze. They are ceramic and it has a little heater in the control box.

The real hassle of winter drilling is the hydraulics. The warm up guidelines takes an hour.

Last edited:
Does it go through rock pretty well?
YES!!! On the 360 foot well we cut 200 foot of bedrock. Our new rig is faster. The speed also comes from not handling the drill rods. They feed off the carousel.

How much (on average) does it cost to have a well drilled?
Your area is going to make a big difference. It goes by the foot. If there is screen and gavel pack that is more.

Then your pumping system is price by need and what you want.

Your local health department can give you a lot of information about local wells and depth.

Last edited:
Sometimes its best to ask local drillers. Our health dept. has nothing to do with wells at all, and would have no information on wells. Most of the time the local guys can get you a lot closer to answering any questions you have, than any state agency.

Travis

Hey there guys, how's biz? How long before the Troll shows up :D

Sometimes its best to ask local drillers. Our health dept. has nothing to do with wells at all, and would have no information on wells. Most of the time the local guys can get you a lot closer to answering any questions you have, than any state agency.

Travis
Question..who writes yours permits and who do you turn the well logs in to? We file our logs on line however, the county inspects and keeps records.

Who does the final inspection? I think we are just calling the agency something different.

Last edited:
There are no permits required for residential water wells here. The commercial wells may have guide lines to follow but still no permit.
There is no inspection on residential wells. ( I think there should be)

The logs are filed online with the state. They would be the ones to (inspect) the well if there is a complaint of some kind. They are also the ones that set guidelines and rules for water wells, 99% of them are the same all over the country.

The county has nothing to do with any part of water wells.
They did try for awhile, but that was a total failure.
The cost and man power was to overwhelming.

There is a subsidence (oky doky). That is making sure a well is not drilled in a low land area that is endangered of sinking.

Last edited:
There are no permits required for residential water wells here. The commercial wells may have guide lines to follow but still no permit.
There is no inspection on residential wells. ( I think there should be)

The logs are filed online with the state. They would be the ones to (inspect) the well if there is a complaint of some kind. They are also the ones that set guidelines and rules for water wells, 99% of them are the same all over the country.

The county has nothing to do with any part of water wells.
They did try for awhile, but that was a total failure.
The cost and man power was to overwhelming.

There is a subsidence (oky doky). That is making sure a well is not drilled in a low land area that is endangered of sinking.
After my post I found your well log site. Does code require a log in Texas?

Our site to file logs is not open on line to view without an account.

We have rules on top of rules in Michigan. :eek::eek:

Oh yes, we have logs that must be filed, and lots of rules, and laws we have to go by.
I think there is one large set of rules for everyone, and each state and local entity can add to them, they just cant take away anything.

Oh yes, we have logs that must be filed, and lots of rules, and laws we have to go by.
I think there is one large set of rules for everyone, and each state and local entity can add to them, they just cant take away anything.
But, no permit or inspection. I am such a "rules" girl that would be odd. LOL

Latest posts

Back