Would you please help identify water shut-off valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyT

Reaction score
Hi there, this is the water shut-off valve inside my garage to shut off the supply to the outdoor hose spigot. I found traces of water slowly seeping out near the green handle (exact location is marked by the red arrow in the attached picture). There looks like “-ABP->” stamped on the valve body next to a protruding knob. Do you happen to know what kind of valve this is? Is it relatively straightforward to fix, such as, open it & replace an o-ring (a generic o-ring which I can find at the local hardware store)? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• E1317EEE-D4FE-4B25-A33D-7B5521D7805B.jpeg
    E1317EEE-D4FE-4B25-A33D-7B5521D7805B.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 05F841E9-09FE-4D54-9C62-EB22A28B6D60.jpeg
    05F841E9-09FE-4D54-9C62-EB22A28B6D60.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
Tighten the brass nut directly above the handle. Dry it off and monitor. Repeat if necessary.

It appears to be an Arrowhead Brass product.

Is mine called globe valve?
I saw one YouTube video showing 3 steps: 1) tighten packing nut, if no help, then 2) unscrew packing nut and add Teflon cord, if still no help, then 3) unscrew bonnet nut and replace the washer.
If I really have to go thru all 3 steps to get it fixed, when I screw back the bonnet nut and packing nut, do I need to use some kind of plumbing dope or tape to seal the threads?

"do I need to use some kind of plumbing dope or tape to seal the threads?"

It's not expensive, can't hurt, and will probably help.

I'm not a plumber, but have often seen with hoses and such where tape stopped a leak cold.

Is mine called globe valve?
I saw one YouTube video showing 3 steps: 1) tighten packing nut, if no help, then 2) unscrew packing nut and add Teflon cord, if still no help, then 3) unscrew bonnet nut and replace the washer.
If I really have to go thru all 3 steps to get it fixed, when I screw back the bonnet nut and packing nut, do I need to use some kind of plumbing dope or tape to seal the threads?
Yours is a stop and waste. That little brass cap can be taken off after you stop the flow to drain the water from the upstream side. Used on outside hose bibbs to drain water after turning off for the winter

Thanks for the explanation of that little knob! Yesterday I shut off water main, drained outdoor spigot, and replaced the Teflon cord in the packing nut. During this process water felt still pressured and kept leaking from the valve. I was wondering why. Now you solved the mystery!
My new Teflon cord didn’t fix the issue. Water still slowly sweat out when the valve is in the open position. The washer inside probably needs replacement, but I couldn’t unscrew the bonnet nut.
I plan to cut it to the two wall stub-outs, and replace the section with sharkbite “elbow + pipe + ball valve + pipe + elbow”. I haven’t used Sharkbite push in before. Hope they will function as good as the reviews show.

If I use this Sharkbite ball valve as in the picture, will it freely turn when operating the handle?

Attachments

• SharkBiteBallValve.JPG
    SharkBiteBallValve.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back