Won't Mix To Cold Water - Temptrol

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake Famulari

Reaction score
Hello All,

A bit stumped on this one. I have a Symmons Temptrol Shower body in my master bathroom. Purchased the house in December and noticed after a few months unused, the shower was leaking a bit from the handle. I pulled apart the assemble and replaced the Seats, Valve, and cap. All seemed fine through winter until summer came around and I tried to take a less than hot shower.

When I first turn the shower on, I have to go beyond 50% to get the water running at full pressure. If I leave it there, all of a sudden I will hear a bang (presumably as the hot water begins to arrive to the unit) and the hot water will shut off completely leaving a weak stream of ice cold water.

If I push the handle further again, the hot water will kick on again, and you can take a warm to hot shower, as I begin to push the handle back toward cold, I hear the bang again and the hot water will shut off completely. It is impossible to take a less than fairly hot shower.

As I said, the valve is new and I pulled it out again to ensure it was moving freely which it was, so I am rather stumped.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Hello All,

A bit stumped on this one. I have a Symmons Temptrol Shower body in my master bathroom. Purchased the house in December and noticed after a few months unused, the shower was leaking a bit from the handle. I pulled apart the assemble and replaced the Seats, Valve, and cap. All seemed fine through winter until summer came around and I tried to take a less than hot shower.

When I first turn the shower on, I have to go beyond 50% to get the water running at full pressure. If I leave it there, all of a sudden I will hear a bang (presumably as the hot water begins to arrive to the unit) and the hot water will shut off completely leaving a weak stream of ice cold water.

If I push the handle further again, the hot water will kick on again, and you can take a warm to hot shower, as I begin to push the handle back toward cold, I hear the bang again and the hot water will shut off completely. It is impossible to take a less than fairly hot shower.

As I said, the valve is new and I pulled it out again to ensure it was moving freely which it was, so I am rather stumped.

Any ideas are much appreciated.
sounds like the (barrel) in your stem is sticking take it out
Lightly tat the screw on the end it should free up and the soak it in vinagar for a bit then reinstall

Latest posts

Back