Winterizing only 2nd story of house (plumbing design)?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk H

Reaction score
Hello--We are looking into doing some remodeling on a residential house our family owns in Northern Michigan. We are looking into a plumbing project that would allow us to be able to turn off the water to the second floor which has 2 full bathrooms and winterize it but keep the water on in the lower level. The house is a simple two-story residential home with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on the second floor. First floor has a kitchen and 1 full bath. House is heated with electric baseboard heaters in each room on each level so sections of the home can be turned off and not used in the winter. During the winter the second floor is not used, and we would like to be able to turn off the water to the second floor and "blow out" the pipes and essentially winterize the 2nd floor and not use it. However still want to be able to keep the water on the first floor for the bath and kitchen and use the first floor as normal. Wondering does anyone have any diagrams or example layouts of how a system like this would look you could point me to? I have tried searching on-line and really can't find anything. I'm guessing it could be as simple as just having a manifold in the basement and separate the first floor and second floor and treat them as two separate systems?

Thanks,

Kirk

My parents have a second home in N.H and the used to go to FLA. in the winter, we used to winterize it, there were hot and cold risers
In the basement under each bathroom,kitchen or laundry, so there were valve to vale things off, tees with hose connections above the valves, we were able to hook up a compressor and removed the aerators,and shower heads,I'm sure the washing machine pump was drained anyway that's how we did it

If it is new construction run 3/4" hot and cold risers to the second floor. You can put isolation valves with tees after the valves with boiler drains on them. Then shut the valves, connect hoses to the drains and either have a connection under the sinks with air connections or open all the fixtures and see if they will gravity drain. You will need to drain toilet tanks and bowls and other P traps, or anti freeze in them.

Back