Will this work?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertwhite

Reaction score
Hi,

Please bear with me as I want to explain so you folks get the whole picture readily.

I have a double sink vanity made from a buffet/server on the 2nd floor and it does not have a P-trap, nor is there room for one.

It is plumbed into the wall which then goes to a 2" schd40 pipe which drops under the house into the crawlspace, which eventually runs out into a field drain (cow pasture), so only clean water (showers/sinks) goes into it.

It is tied into a vent above it, and also a vent before going to the field, and drainage is not an issue at all.

What is an issue, especially this time of year is that the wet mud/cow crap smell comes up thru the sink, obviously because there is no P-trap near the sink. (there is one under the house about 50 ft away before the pipe exits the foundation). The smell really is only noticeable when you first walk into the bathroom, but I would like to try an fix it

So..............If I was to put a rigid (2" w/clean out) P-trap where the pipe comes into the crawlspace, would that block the smell from going up thru the pipe?

if you put trap, anywhere but at the sink, the force of the water coming out of the drain will syphen
the water out of the trap every time you use it

its a physics thing, some smart latin dude figured it out,,,way back in the before me time.

after Dino-and Fred and Barney,,,it really needs to be trapped at the sink.

images (1).jpg

Last edited:
How is ther no room for a p-trap? You're allowed 135 degrees of change in direction before the trap arm hits the vent. I'm sure you can make something work

The reason there is no room fora trap is that the buffet/vanity is open on the bottom. There are 2 drawers (4" high) and a 6" high drawer. With the sink taking most of the space up, there is no room for the trap.

Could I re-rig it and put a trap in the open area, sure, but it would be very visible and look like crap.

How close to the actual sink drain dose a trap need to be?

within 3'6'' of the vent

remove a drawer, take the box off and put the front part back on

Already done that for the sink and pipe that is there.

Thinking about trying to reroute into the side cabinets and somehow connecting back into one, then into the wall pipe

Sure, here ya' go...........

Also note that all drawers are still functional. I boxed out where piping goes and rebuilt, so I would like to try and keep them functional (or the wife will have my head ;) )

front.jpg

side.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

center.jpg

overall.jpg

I think it will drop below that last drawer. But I will give it a shot.

Is there such a thing as a "shallow" P-trap? (one that is shorter in height)

Also, should I make the trap out of that thin plastic crap or schd40?

Thanks.

All kinds of room for a p-trap there. One on each sink. Buy a manufactured p-trap, they are designed to hold the required 38mm trap seal.

Back