Will Aluminum Tape Work in This Application

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aln

Reaction score
I just had a tankless water heater installed. They ran the PVC exhaust line through the existing (standard heater) flue that goes through the roof. They closed off the top of the flue with aluminum tape. I'm concerned that the tape will deteriorate in the not too far future. Am I correct? And if so, how should the flue be closed off?
Not sure how to use the "Insert image" feature, but see photo here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1fy89wWDE2wzgbUu5

5aecdcd96f54fbe7f4cc5a0835506ffb1e7cdfda4f8d1d902bd1f141eb0d7a38.gif
NO, CALL that DUMB SOB back and tell him to install a sheet metal roof jack with a collar as per code
on your roof.
that crap is....crap pure and simple
I am copping your image to use as a worst dumbass crap i have seen image

what he has to do, is have a sheet metal shop make a flat top for that pipe with a collar
then he can bring the pipe through the cap and seal off with TAR
not that tape3d.png

give him this answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbp
Sellkirk Metalbestos tops have a nice dome that can be drilled out for the pipe that’s coming through.
We caulk that penetration, I typically use silicone; then we add a plastic rubberized vent collar from Oatey.
And always make sure there is a vent screen to prevent birds or Vermin...
Only yesterday did we have to clear a dead bird from the induced draft furnace motor because the 2” PVC pipe up thru the roof had no screen.
Aluminum tape is ridiculous except for temporary conditions and I would call the guy a true dumbass if he thought that would be suitable.

Back