will a torch crack porcelain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritz57

Reaction score
Ther are phenolic deck plates on Am Standard sinks that are stuck to escutcheons and I need to change the stems.
I don't care about melting the deck plates as I can find them, but if I try to use the torch to unstick the deck plates from the escutcheons, with the porcelain crack from thermal shock?

no space under the escutcheon to get a blade in, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

Google "oscillating saws" to see what Havasu is writing about.

A dremel with a cutting wheel would be easy to control. An oscillator is awesome too if you can control it.

A dremel with a cutting wheel would be easy to control. An oscillator is awesome too if you can control it.
A multitool is about the most useful tool to come along in a long time. If you don't have one, buy one and you'll wonder how you got along without it.

A multitool is about the most useful tool to come along in a long time. If you don't have one, buy one and you'll wonder how you got along without it.
Whats a multitool ? If you’re talking about oscillator tools, I have a couple of them.

Yes, I agree, they’re great.

have one. But how can I get under the escutcheon to cut the phenolic plate? Or are you thinking something else.?
I used it to cut out the old shower grout and redo. Worked great.

Back