Will a contact tank lower my homes pressure?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmskis

Reaction score
In treatment of my well water I am having to install a contact tank to fight some iron bacteria from our well. My question is how is this going to affect our home water pressure? The setup will be a 30-40 gallon contact tank, followed by a 1.5 cu ft carbon filter.

If needed, where would you install a boost pump on this system to gain the pressure loss back?

Our current system is a well pump that pump roughly 9-10gpm and gives us adequate pressure, I definitely would not want to lose any with the new setup so trying to combat it all when I am hooking up new system.

Thanks!

If the treatment system is sized for your demand there shouldn't be a pressure drop, but if there is you could probably set the pressure control switch a little higher. Depending on the pump you have, submersibles will develop a lot of pressure, shallow well pumps not so much. Most submersibles are run 40-60 psi, but depending on the pump and the water table most can go higher.

It is a submersible pump, maybe 3/4 hp. That is good to know that the pressure should remain. I just was not sure since it would have to push now against the 30-40 gal of contact water then brought the filter. Should be sized correctly so shouldn’t be an issue.

Back