Why isn't this draining?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The outlet of the tee would be pipe size. Then a section of pipe with a hub would slip over the outlet of the tee and get caulked in with oakum and lead.

So the pipe often goes bad or cracks. So rather than removing the hub that was leaded in over the tee outlet they just cut the pipe off flush with the hub.

Then they didn’t have anything left to connect to other than slipping that reducing Fernco over the hub.

The pipe coming out of the top looks to be galvanized.

The inside of a 2” cast iron hub is about 3”. The outside is about 4”

The copper pictured is 1.5”. A red brass bushing is used to adapt the two and is caulked in with oakum/lead. The proper name would be a red brass caulking ferrule.

The work was probably done through a little hole cut under the sink or from the other side of the wall as a repair. Pure speculation.

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking as well. So, you have a ledge at the top of the PVC pipe that has the Fernco clamped around it. Not good, very problematic, and very poor practice.

That's what I'm thinking as well. So, you have a ledge at the top of the PVC pipe that has the Fernco clamped around it. Not good, very problematic, and very poor practice.

The pvc may be jammed up against a cut off 2” cast iron pipe. So while there’s a major difference in outside diameter the inside may be very close. But I’d guess there’s a ledge there.

There’s not enough pipe to connect to so they went over the hub with a Fernco. It’s not perfect but it’s not worth tearing the wall down for.

I work for people sometimes that have very little money and they’re old. You do what you can to help them. It always doesn’t meet code.

Last edited:
Yep, been there done that.

There isn't a major issue if the PVC is 2". Hard to tell from the picture, but it appears that it is only 1 1/2" based on the size of the top vent line.

The top vent is some flavor of galvanized steel pipe. Looks like whatever they had on hand. I have no idea what size it is but based off the pics and comparing the copper to the pvc, the pvc is 2”

Hard to say for sure. Might be 1.5”. It’s cluster

Last edited:
Back