Why is this happening ( pics attached)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dezim8er

Reaction score
Help why is this happening. This is in my kitchen sink and is only happening to one side of the drain. This was installed almost 2 years ago. Started to happen a few months after it was installed.

The one side is like silver color (normal) the other side is turning a copper color. :/ :confused:

20160316_163229.jpg

20160316_163235.jpg

one side is the basket strainer that came with the garbage disposal. i assume it is the chrome one

the other is a brass /copper basket strainer that should be stainless steel..someone cheaped out when they furnished the basket strainer

if you want, go buy a stainless steel new basket strainer , switch it out

take it apart slowly and put it back the same way

Help why is this happening. This is in my kitchen sink and is only happening to one side of the drain. This was installed almost 2 years ago. Started to happen a few months after it was installed.

The one side is like silver color (normal) the other side is turning a copper color. :/ :confused:

The one losing it's flash chrome finish is CHI-COM.

Replace it with a quality product from BrassCraft-

b5c52685-da7d-4827-bf08-6ca015018e8e_1000.jpg

Another fine piece of Chinese manufacturing, QC=0.

Ours have been silicone in I believe. I looked under the sink and its the clear rubber like stuff. I dont think we would be able to move it.

Ours have been silicone in I believe. I looked under the sink and its the clear rubber like stuff. I dont think we would be able to move it.

You will have to cut the silicone bead(s) with a utility knife. Don't force basket up out of sink until bead(s) are broken so as not to damage the sink flange.

The new basket should come with a gasket for the bottom and use plumber's putty to seal the top flange.

Here is some info- https://www.google.com/search?q=replacing+kitchen+sink+drain+basket&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Sink drains aren't usually glued in. They sometimes have silicone, but often they are held on by pressure and plumber's putty. Some may even have rubber gaskets instead.

As sheplmbr said, there should be a nut underneath keeping the sink drain attached.

As to the discoloration, when certain metals touch one another, it causes a chemical reaction which can cause corrosion. That is why you should use products that use the same metals and also try to avoid getting ones that have ferrous metal (iron) because they are prone to rust.

Since it appears you have a garbage disposal, it might be a little bit trickier to remove the drain flange. You will have to disconnect the top of the garbage disposal unit from the bottom of the sink. Once there is no longer pressure pulling the flange down, you can push up on the drain/flange to pop it up. If you see any old plumbing putty, wipe it off.

Hopefully this video will be helpful. I couldn't load it due to bandwidth restrictions.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhAzDp4M_cI[/ame]

There is also this article: http://www.ehow.com/how_7020025_replace-kitchen-sink-flange.html

I hope this helps.

Edit: I didn't see Frodo's post before I posted this.

I had to change a garbage disposal out before so I'm trying to remember the steps.
I think you have to remove the disposal to access the screws that hold the flange on. You can set a bucket or something underneath the disposal to hold it up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back